Little black worms on threshold just inside front door

I noticed the vile little creatures as I was coming down the stairs. There were a dozen of them on the plastic threshold just inside the front door. I scraped them up and dumped them in the garden. They were about 10mm to 30mm long and alive (wriggling). Quite disgusting, since I am squeamish about such things.
So what could I do to prevent them in future? I assume they're attracted to the warmth of the house.
MM

Baby Slugs. Salt or Slug Pellets. I have yet to find a gun to that the pellets. Baz

I've sprinkled salt along the brass channel in the threshold. Let's see if the buggers dare to cross that. There were two more this morning, and that's when I decided on the salt.
MM
On 10/10/2012 09:37, MM wrote:

It will corrode the brass fairly rapidly if damp. You would do much better with a few slug pellets.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 10/10/2012 14:37, MM wrote:

Wriggly doesn't sound like slugs anyway. Photo?
Andy

It was the other poster who said they were baby slugs. They definitely wriggle when I'm brushing them on to my dustpan whence they are thrown on to the lawn. The underside -- though I don't look too close since I find them so repellent -- looks silvery, but the body is jet black. *IF* another manages to get past my barriers of salt, slug pellets and the nuclear attack helicopters, I'll try to stop my gorge rising long enough to take a closer look ;)
It's a pain being squeamish, but I always have been. Funny, though, I don't mind spiders, beetles, wasps, bees etc. I'm always helping spiders and daddy-long-legs out of the bath by coaxing them on to a towel.
MM
On Thursday, October 11, 2012 8:40:08 AM UTC+1, MM wrote:

It would help if you tell us what they taste like too
NT :)
On 10/10/2012 20:37, Andy Champ wrote:

Maybe not but a generic molluscicide like metaldehyde will also kill most other things that consume it. That is why they make the pellets blue so that birds don't notice them. Any non specific insecticide would probably see them off quickly too.
Salt will kill them but it will ruin the brasswork in the process.
The OP could perhaps ask someone else to take a macro photo of the things and then we might stand a chance of ID.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

There were one or two lined up in front of the door (outside) when I came out this morning, but they were tiny. Maybe some more will approach in the next few days. I was right, though, about the silvery underside.
MM
On 11/10/2012 12:55, MM wrote:

Silverfish? I don't know if you want to google for pictures of them or not...
Can be a right PITA to get rid of.
Andy

or millipedes.
--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
http://www.sandrila.co.uk/
On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 20:23:08 +0100, Andy Champ wrote:

I've only ever seen them indoors, not outdoors and trying to get in - although I suppose they have to come from *somewhere* :-)

No! Silverfish are tiny and are, er, kinda fish-shaped. These look like little black worms.
MM
On 10/12/2012 2:29 AM, MM wrote:

They sound like caterpillars of some sort.
On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 09:31:09 -0400, S Viemeister

They do indeed look like caterpillars, but really ugly ones.
MM
MM wrote:

Reminds me of the army unit based out in the desert.
A newcomer to the camp asks about the sex life and is told that every 6 months a train of camels pass by and everyone then gets a bit of sexual relief.
About 3 months later a shout goes up that the camels are passing and everyone starts running towards the camels. The newcomer asks "What's the rush?" and his sergeant shouts back over his shoulder "Well you do not want to fuck an an ugly one do you?"
--
Adam

Tell your fan club only to contact you via email, home visits are a no-no
MM wrote:

?????
Your hallway is never heated:-)
How wide were the worms?
--
Adam

On Tue, 9 Oct 2012 18:11:12 +0100, "ARW"

Nevertheless, it's 13 degrees wamer than outside.

Wide? You mean long, surely? They vary from about 10mm to 30mm. Little wriggly things. I expect that Dirk Diggler chappie from The One Show would get all starry-eyed over them, but I just find slugs and snails utterly repellent.
MM