Ancient wooden fusebox

took these a couple of months ago in the back of a Chemists shop where I was working (not on the electrics).

Yes it is live and in use.

What got me was the sheet in the lid which rather suggests that a 12SWG "nail" would be OK if you needed 150A.

Reply to
Graham

Nothing wrong with wire fuses - or in the old swg COPPER wire spec - possibly some danger to careless fingers with the fuse pulled but the circuit live ;-)

Reply to
dom

Copper fuses put out a lot of heat before they pop, and are not generally considered a good idea. Fuse wire cards dont use copper wire, they use an lmp alloy.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Wonder if that's real asbestos round the wire in that wooden box?

Reply to
Bob Eager

In article , snipped-for-privacy@care2.com writes

Thats why they have that asbestos channel in the fuse for that purpose!..

Reply to
tony sayer

Almost certainly. I have much more modern fuses in commercial premises with asbestos pads confining the fuse wire so it doesn't fly everywhere when it blows. We have to maintain an 'asbestos register' with a 'management plan' which says look at it each year, make sure it's not deteriorating, and leave it alone ! The local Environmental Health paper pusher seemed very dissapointed when it was the only asbestos that could be found on the premises

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Thats to deal with the molten metal when it blows. The problem with copper fuses is the amount of heat generated when the fuse doesnt blow. A copper fuse carrier connected to pvc cable can heavily damage the cable.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Of course it is. t makes a pretty cloud of white dust around the box when the nail blows. :))

Reply to
EricP

It's probably worth quite a bit on Ebay...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In article , Andrew Mawson writes

I thought that would come into it somewhere;!...

Reply to
tony sayer