wooden hinges

doeanyone knows how to make smallwooden hinges i need smallhinges for my 18 wheeler back doors

Reply to
gilles

I'd like to hear how too. But here's a jig that might help.

evodawg

down the center of the fingers for a hinge pin. The Incra Hingecrafter (referenced above) keeps the pieces aligned and is a drill guide so that you can accurately drill the hole for the hinge pin. The incra guide will only make hinges out of 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, or

3/4 material. You can't make 1/4 inch thick hinges for example.

One word of warning. Make sure the hole is drilled thoroughly and you clean out any bits of wood from the hinge before you try to pin it. I would also wax the pin (and holes) with paste wax prior to pinning.

The brass pin is very soft and I had a devil of a time getting the pin into a 9 inch hinge. I started with a 12 inch long brass pin and it was 11 inches long but the time I got it seated. Where did the extra inch go? Into the thickness of the pin and that hinge is extremely hard to swing.

TWS

Reply to
TWS

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 04:39:30 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, evodawg quickly quoth:

White oak or elm might be good. They're tough woods. But the constand and heavy vibrations of an 18-wheeler might be a bit much for wood hinges, gilles. If you do make wooden hinges, be sure to carry your old metal hinges with you on the road, JIC.

^^^^^ Y'mean "Rockler?"

--------------------------------------------------------------- Never put off 'til tomorrow |

what you can avoid altogether. | Dynamic Website Applications

Larry Jaques

On that website I referenced is a pdf how to on the jig. I looked at it and it might help you without having to buy the jig. It looked very helpful and included some home made jigs you may need to complete the hinge.

Rich

Reply to
evodawg

Ain't that the truth. I worked at Rockler a couple of years ago part time and I had a guy come in and spent 10,000.00 and never touched a piece of wood. Couple of weeks later he came back in and returned everything. His wife made him return it all. Wonder who wears the pants in that family?

It was a good experience working there for a short time. I was able to get some tools I needed at a great employee discount. I learned some folks have more money than brains and spend all this money and never build anything. I should have gotten their address and called them from time to time to ask, are you selling your stuff yet?

Rich

Reply to
evodawg