How many hinges for door ?

For exterior solid doors I have always seen 3 hinges. But what about interior doors? In particular those 6 panel masonite doors. These are heavier than the regular hollow doors but not by much. My house's doors all have 2 hinges, but when I look at other people's houses I see three. Any differences in the size of the door? For example 2.5 feet width is 2 hinges but 3 feet gets 3 hinges?

Reply to
raymondj

Heavy doors need 3. You can get away with 2 on interior doors. If the interior door is heavier than usual just upgrade the hinge to a heavier size.

Rich

Reply to
EvoDawg

Some have three, others two. A heavier or larger door would have three or two heavy-duty hinges. The middle hinge carries the least force, and is the least important.

Reply to
Phisherman

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

All my inside doors, which are hollow core doors, have 2 hinges. I'm in the process of replacing my solid core garage side-entry door which has 3 hinges.

Reply to
Ron

"Ron" wrote in news:vcIMb.3468$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com:

I just installed 4 of the 6 panel masonite doors. They seemed about twice as heavy as one of the cheap hollow-core doors I was replacing and about as heavy as the older (& nicer) hollow-core doors.

Anyway, with 3 kids I was afraid of flex from running into the doors etc, so I used 3 hinges. The information on the back of the package indicated

3 hinges as well, but that could just be to increase sales.

NJBrad

Reply to
Brad Bruce

I also noticed that in Home Depot, the prehung masonite doors come with three hinges.

Reply to
raymondj