Flat panel thickness for interior doors

I am having some interior doors built 1 3/8" thick with a shaker-style flat panel. They are spec'ing 1/4" ply for the panels, but that seems thin to me. Any opinions?

Reply to
Matthew Roche

Yup. The original doors in my house (1860ish) are in that style, about that thickness and have 3/8-1/2 panels

1/4" seems a bit light to me.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

Reply to
Paul C. Proffitt
1/4 is ok for cabinet doors, but for passage doors, you would want at least 1/2.

3/4 is better - that's what I'd want.

If you are having them built, tell them what you want - don't accept anything less. It should not be a big deal to the shop and the material cost is (almost) insignificant.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Any suggestions on cost-effective sources for VG fir flat panel doors?

Reply to
Matt