Hex bit storage?

I have a wee bit of a problem.

I've collected (well okay, accumulated) a whole bunch of hex bits that I use a lot, and I'm trying to find some way to keep them. Ideally, the storage method would be:

- solid, so that it doesn't fall apart or have some dopey plastic hinge that breaks

- secure, so that it doesn't fall open while in the toolbox

- allows me to see what's where at a glance.

Rough calculation shows that I have nearly 50 different bits that I use (multiple sizes of each of slot, Philips, Pozi, Torx, Robertson, tri-wing, span, clutch, etc., etc., etc.).

I've DAGS, and I can find tools with storage handles, or sets that come in a storage box, but I haven't found anything that's *just* the storage.

Any thoughts from the collected wisdom here?

Dave O'Heare oheareATmagmaDOTca

Reply to
Dave O'Heare

Try

part 907-037. You don't really need a top and bottom. Many of my bits almost need pliers to get them out of the case. Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

I use the little yellow DeWalt box the Orange Borg sells.

Reply to
Eugene

I have bought a few of those boxes, some hold things like jigsaw blades and other long things so I pulled the dividers from those and put them in the others. I use two different ones for screwdriver bits, one has just a few types of bits but several of each that stays with the cordless drill/drivers and has the common bits used for those like #2 cross and the #2 square. The other has all the security torx and fancy stuff and a real small screwdriver that I use with those special bits.

Reply to
Eugene

Thanks, this looks like a good bet.

Dave O'H oheareATmagmaDOTca

Reply to
Dave O'Heare

Yeah, that would be good IF there was some way to get more inserts for the box without having to buy a whole new box with more bits in it...

I tried the DeWalt store near me today, figuring that if anybody would know, they would. Well, it took two guys to understand what I was asking for, and the answer is no, the little thingies that hold the bits and that fit into the box are not available separately.

The box is great, it would be darn near perfect, but I kinda resent having to buy more boxes to just discard the expensive outside part and the expensive inside pieces just because I want the cheap inside part.

Dave O'H, practicing to be a curmudgeon oheareATmagmaDOTca

Reply to
Dave O'Heare

I use drawers a lot, mostly because I'm just learning to make 'em..lol Anyway, I have 3 small drawers dedicated to various things that fir my drivers/drills with hex.. Each drawer has a piece of pegboard the size of the drawer, suspended about 1/2" from the bottom of the drawer.. the hex fits the holes a little tight the first time, but work well.. it makes organizing them pretty easy and they're very accessible that way..

Reply to
mac davis

My hex bit storage is pretty sophisticated.

I take a chunk of scrap 2x4, then drill blind holes in it in a pattern.

I put the bits in the holes.

Now the sophisticated part is, I put the block on a shelf!

complicated, but worth it!

:)

John

Reply to
JohnT.

the 9MM 50 round ammo cases, other sizes work well for other things. The foam core rifle sizes for router bits, zip bits, etc.

-Jim Vidler

Reply to
Jim

I was going to suggest a 32 acp reloaders box:

who once had a .32 acp, until my gov't outlawed them...

Reply to
Badger

Excellet idea. There's a gn shop not too far from here, I'll check and see what they've got.

Dave, who bought his wife's flute case at a gun shop... oheareATmagmaDOTca

Reply to
Dave O'Heare

John, excellent idea, except that I'm forever taking the dang things to places that are far (like miles) away from my shelves...

Dave O'Heare

Reply to
Dave O'Heare

My slr's (cameras) live in a gun case, and old ammo boxes come in useful for storage in vehicles too!

Niel.

Reply to
Badger