Router bit storage suggestion

An easy, safe and convenient (and cheap) way to store and transport those precious router bits:

  1. Find a suitable plastic box with lid.
  2. Line the bottom with a piece of open-cell foam cut to fit.
  3. Make a small incision for each bit's position and then push the bit's shaft in.

Another piece of foam could be cut to fit inside the cover, if desired.

Since you mentioned 'transport'...how about a fishing tackle box?? It's got lots of little compartments that are (more-or-less) router-bit sized.

Reply to
Chris Merrill

I use the clear Plano utility boxes both for portable router bit storage and for the 50# of fishing gear I take on the boat. Hmmm, I wonder if a 1" cove bit would work on them basses????

Reply to
Eric Ryder

I don't like the idea of a box since the bits roll around inside and bang into each other, potentially damaging themselves.

I took a piece of scrap wood (I had a piece of 8/4 cherry laying around that was perfect) - and I drilled a bunch of 1/2 and 1/4 " holes in it, I put the bits in the holes, and they don't hit each other, they are easy to find, and not too hard to transport - although I rarely transport them very far.

In terms of your priorities:

Safe - I would rate my solution highly in the safety dept. Convenient - also very convenient. Cheap - Free (I'm sure you have scraps of wood laying around)

works great for storage and use, ok for transport.

Mark

Reply to
Mark in Maine