Hidden hinges on MDF doors

Hi. I am building a very cheap mdf cabinet for our laundry. It will have 3 doors (720mmHx600mmWx18mm) and we want hidden hinges. To keep costs down we are thinking of making mdf doors rather than buying premade wood or particle board doors (diff is about $150!)

My question is: how can we attach hidden hinges to mdf? Is it possible? The mdf is only 18mm deep, so after boring out the inset hole in the door will mdf bite the screws enough to attach the hinge?

Will the weight of the door make a difference (720mmH x 600mmW)

I can always bolt the hinge on the inside upstand/support so I am not too worried about that side of the hinge, but I am worried about the part that attachs to the door itself.

All help and advice appreciated

AndyC

Reply to
AC

Most hinge cups for hidden hinges are approx 12 mm deep. They carry the load. The screws merely hold the cup in place. The weight is well within range of a decent Euro hinge. I said a decent one. Blum or Grass. The ones to get, are those hinges that come with barbed plugs already attached to the screws and you bore a (8mm?) hole and pound in the whole assembly with a hard rubber dead-blow. You have to be pretty accurate with the hole location. I wouldn't go near a project like this without a drill press.

Reply to
Robatoy

If you don't want to use the barbed plug method, just mark the location of the screw hole, then drill a hole 3/8", not a thru hole, then insert a dowel plug, flush, and screw into that.

Ken

Reply to
Ken

Not even with one of these?

the OP, Prime then sand prime then sand again paint

Comes out smooth as painted MDF.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

Your measurements are well within the range of European door hinges. If I figured right you are making a cabinet about 72" long, about 28" or so high, and that will equate to 3 sections aprox. 24" wide. The jig from Rockler or others similar will make it a lot easier to install.

3/4 melamine, mdf or particle board is common for doors, for commercial applications and will work fine, You can also get a light weight mdf. which sells for about $8.00 a sheet more, I don't know if any of the box stores sell this or not, We buy ours from a plywood and plastics dealer, (Plywood and Plastics) easy to work with, seems to be stronger than regular mdf and easy to finish, we cover ours with laminate.And you can always just use flake (particle board). Though that is heavier. Will still work fine, CC

Reply to
CC