TS upgrade - why did I wait sooo long?

I have kept an old issue of wood magazine handy for years and finally got around to building the mobile TS/routing center. Not quite finished but almost.

The general idea is to build a sturdy router cabinet and a cabinet for the saw to replace the flimsy steel legs of a contractor saw. The whole thing goes on a reinforced platform with casters.

Well...,

The added mass of the cabinet and the sturdy cabinet have really made the saw run smoother. I didn't pull out a nickel but I'm fairly sure it would pass the test.

Here is the link to the plans (not free but has picture)

you have a contractor or even a benchtop I strongly recommend a project like this to improve your saws performance. The method for building the cabinet is simple and strong. You would have to try to get the boxes not to be square using this method. The plans are also in the October 2003 Wood Magazine if you have it or your library does.

Now I know why the pros spend all that extra money for the 'big boy' saws.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

"Limp Arbor" wrote

That's cool ... if I ever have to get rid of my Unisaw for space reasons (old age makes for strange decisions, and although I ain't quire there yet, my bones are indicating the surety of the event) I definitely hit the "save" button on your post.

Thanks for the heads-up ... I'd seen it before, but had forgotten all about it (old age?) ;)

Reply to
Swingman

When you are ready to get rid of your Unisaw we can do an even swap.

Seriously though this cabinet is a monster. I made it wide enough so I can extend my fence rail to 50". It probably takes up more space than your Unisaw because the motor is sticking out the back, although I think the new Jet contractor saws somehow hang the motor underneath.

Now I just need to come up with a way to make my outfeed table foldable or easily removed. Right now I have bolts going into the back angle iron rail and 2x4s holding up the far end.

Reply to
Limp Arbor