TS upgrade assistance

I have a Grizzly contractor saw and want to put an extension off the back. I have seen some articles in the mags, but cannot seem to find anything going into detail regarding how to actually build and attach the table top extension.

I have upgraded the fence to a Mulecab Accusquare 50" if that makes a difference.

Can anybody point me in the right direction? I feel like such a moron

Mark

Reply to
Markndawoods

What you want is called an 'outfeed table'. A VERY useful safety device, by the way. If you do a Google search on the rec for those terms, you'll find a bunch of good websites recommended for building your own, relatively inexpensively. I did that for my cabinet saw, mixing ideas from several posters, but probably not executing the ideas quite as well.

By the way, mobile is often good. You can get multiple duty from the flat space.

Inexperience does not a moron make. Unwillingness to recognize our inexperience, on the other hand, ...

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

I saw a good one in a magazine. It was a 4' deep table and long as the tablesaw and it was on wheels and adjustable height so it could match the tablesaw. The table had two slots to match the miter gauge slots. I believe he had it set up to where he could lock the wheels and clamp it to the tablesaw for an outfeed table. He could also roll it away to double as an assembly table.

Try to get double use if you can. Also, don't forget storage underneath (third use). Use your imagination, do it really good the first time around and you will have a great addition to the shop.

Preston

Reply to
Preston Andreas

I just built one for my Ridgid 2424 saw. My particular saw has cast iron webbed wings which made it easy to attach the outfeed table. Since the inner webbed portion sits a little below the level of the rest of the wing, I was able to use that little space to bolt a flat steel bar over the top of the webbing approximately 1.5" X 14" to anchor angle iron on the underside of the wing. The angle iron stuck out maybe another 14" past the back of the saw and actually supported the fixed portion of the table top.

I know I'm not explaining this well but let me throw out some details: The table top is in two portions: the fixed part sticks out 14" or so and is just long enough to cover the motor. Then there's a piano hinge that holds on the folding portion of the table which sticks out another two feet. So the table gives me three feet of outfeed space when extended and yet doesn't take up any extra space when it's folded down.

The support for the table is (from the top) flat metal bar (about 1/8" thick), oak spacers cut to fill the space in the web (you need three for each wing), and then the angle iron which actually forms the support. The flat bar and the spacer blocks only serve to bolt the angle iron to the bottom of the wing.

I'll see if I can't post something in A.B.P.W.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I made mine a completely separate rolling cabinet with a salvaged piece of plastic-laminated countertop. It has space for six drawers and two doors, which I have not yet gotten around to installing. Some (3"?) polyurethane casters from grizzly (the red ones) let it roll around very easily. It can also be used as a sort of portable workbench and, eventually, tool and accessory storage as well. It's only 42" x 24", but it does have the rounded over countertop edge, which I point toward the saw. This way I can put it a foot or so behind the saw and not worry too much about the piece I'm cutting catching on the edge of the outfeed table. It works pretty well for me, since my TS is on a mobile base. I can roll the saw and the outfeed table out of the way when needed.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Mraz