Does Anyone Hate Their Grizzly 1023 TS?

I'm looking at buying a tablesaw, and I think I've settled on the Grizzly 1023SLX:

've gotten a lot of positive reports about the 1023; does anyone who owns one have anything negative to say about it? (Negative reports aren't necessarily a dealbreaker, of course, but it's nice to be forewarned about what could possibly go wrong and how to resolve those problems.)

Thanks! Darin

Reply to
Darin

I didn't like the power cord so I changed it. The switch could be bigger too, but it is not a problem. So many things COULD go wrong that it is impossible to list. However, so far nothing has gone wrong. Why get the X? It doesn't seem to offer anything extra in my view.

Jack

Reply to
Jack

I thought the "X" added the longer rails and side table?

Roger

Reply to
Roger L

Yeah -- 7' rails + extension table + legs for $1125 (which is $230 more than the cost of the SL with the 30" fence, which seems reasonable).

I suppose I could always get the 30" fence version, buy a longer fence, (try to) sell the short fence on Ebay, and build my own extension table and legs, but it hardly seems worth it for $230.

Dar> I thought the "X" added the longer rails and side table?

Reply to
Darin

Darin, That is what I thought as well. Not a real steal but certainly seems reasonable.

Roger

Reply to
Roger L

I had the G9957 a few years ago...bump it with the broom and the magnetic switch would snap on. Not only dangerous, but at those amps, a substantial gulp of juice.

Reply to
D. A. Clark

I don't hate it, but if I had it to over again, I'd probably opt for something different. I didn't get the extended rails as there is some limitation I'm facing with room. So far, it's worked fine, but I'm not really a Bies fan after using it. Wish I'd have gone with a Delta with a Unifence.

Don

Reply to
D. J. Dorn

D. J an easy fix for that is to install a Unifence on your Griz. I did it on mine it was easy. Jim A.

Reply to
Jim Akins

I have had a 1023 for about 7 years; they may have improved in that length of time, I don't know. I do know that I had to modify the miter gauge because the table slots were like 1/8" deeper than specification, and I had to machine parts of the miter gauge to get it to work. The fence they supplied at that time was truly horrible (but by modifying it, I did get it to work finally; I have since junked it and replaced the fence and rails with a better setup). The motor winding recently shorted to the frame of the motor and self-destructed--fortunately my setup was grounded as it should be, or I probably would not be writing this message. Make SURE you have a good ground!!! A new motor from Grizzly cost about $200 and did not fit properly--I had to enlarge slots in the frame mounting and cut bits of the cabinet away so that it would be possible to raise the blade to full height. The capacitor covers were in the wrong place and interfered with full motion.

The saw cuts well and accurately and is easy to keep in adjustment. I have done a lot of work with it and would continue to buy Grizzly stuff, mainly because they keep the price down. But they don't have a lot of concern for quality control. When I first complained 7 years ago about the table slots, they said that they considered 1/8" close enough, but if I wanted to return the table they would look around for one that was closer. My understanding of the manufacturing system is that they churn out these machined castings over in China or Taiwan, and then pick them over. The good ones go to the better brands and cost more, and the poorer ones work their way to the bottom of the heap and end up in identical-looking saws, shapers, planers etc. that cost less money.

So no, I don't hate Grizzly. But I think you need to be prepared for some surprises. Possibly they will be pleasant.

Reply to
donald girod

Yikes. 1/8" seems like a -lot-.

Well, I appreciate the feedback -- it's always nice to be prepared for what could go wrong. But as you say, maybe some of the surprises will be pleasant ones (particularly if I keep my expectations really, really low :-)

Darin in Minneapolis

Reply to
Darin

Unplug the saw when you're sweeping the shop or doing anything other that USING IT!!!

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

It's a great saw. I love mine. You won't be disappointed. In my opinion, outside of Powermatic or General, it is the saw to buy. And even so, those other two saws aren't going to improve your woodworking ability.

Mine arrived dead on accurate right out of the box without the slightest ding from shipping. The fence was square to the tables, the blade to the miter guages (0.0012"), and the measurable blade runout was 0.0011". Now I definitely prefer the right tilt model, but that's of course just my preference. The incremental $230 you're paying is a resonable deal for the extension kit since the rails alone would run you $187 if purchased separately. But I might be tempted to buy the rails alone anyhow, and build an extension table that could also be used as a router table. Just a thought.

I am very accustomed to Bies fences, and so the Shop Fox Classic is right up my alley. I have no concerns with it except for perhaps the flatness of the UHMW face which I have replaced with a mohogany strip. I also was not a big fan of the supplied fence measuring tape, so I replaced it with Starrett tape for about $6. Money well spent :)

Again, I couldn't be happier. It's a great machine that will last a lifetime.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Oh yeah, the tape. Definitely replace the tape.

-Jack

Reply to
Jack

Have the right tilt version of the saw pictured in the Grizzly ad complete with the extended rails and table top. My only complaint is that the extended table top, as provided by Grizzly, precludes the use of the right hand cast iron table extension (that was also provided with my 1023). Seems to me, that the table extension would be better if it augmented that cast iron extension rather than replacing it. The added weight and precision of the machined iron table top would appears superior to one made of plywood and Formica. Other than that, I love the saw and even the Shop Fox fence. With the exception of minor problems with the packing of the extended rail set, everything arrived in good shape and setup went well.

Reply to
tefgaf

Reply to
Darin

That was the case with the 1023 right tilt model at the time I ordered mine in Fall 03. I had to purchase the extension table and longer rails as options rather than part of a package. As a result, I ended up with the right-hand cast iron extension, short and long rails, formica table extension and TWO sets of support legs (one for the extension table and one for the long rails).

Perhaps the right hand tilt model is now available in a package similar to the one you're considering. In that case, I doubt that one would get the right hand cast iron table extension, the short rails and the extra set of legs.

Reply to
tefgaf

This is not so with the newer ones. My miter guage stick is flush with the table top.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

You unplug everything when sweeping up?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

When I'm not using my table saw I lower the blade below the table. It protects the blade and me. Jack

Reply to
Jack

Key word is "when". I really should sweep up more often. :)

Brian.

Reply to
Brian