woodworking mags

A recent audit by the LOML has discovered that over the past several years my subscriptions to woodworking mags has increased to a half dozen or so. So in the intrest of eating dinner (cooked) every nite, i shall uphold her wishes, and cut back. Whats a couple of the best woodworking mags month-in/month out??

-- DavisWoodShop

Reply to
sawdust

Bay Area Dave

Woodworkers Journal Woodsmith

--

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

I let all of my subsciptions end with the exception of Fine Woodworking. It was the only one that I consistently learn things from when I read it.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

I stop in at the book store and look through the mags to see which ones I will buy that month.

Reply to
Bob Gramza

Wed, May 5, 2004, 1:44pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net (sawdust) asks: Whats a couple of the best woodworking mags month-in/month out??

The only one I like every single month is - Popular Mechanics. Apparently they've been posting woodworking plans for about 102 years.

JOAT If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.

- Phil Pastoret

Reply to
J T

I just purchased and received my first DVD edition of woodworkingathome on DVD and I gotta say I really enjoyed it. I think they are on to something !!

Rich

Reply to
RKON

I also look forward to my Fine Woodworking....

Reply to
Never Enough Money

leave it to you to suggest PM as the best woodworking mag...

dave

J T wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Reply to
George Berlinger

If you can find them, there are a couple of UK woodworking/furniture mags that I like better than Fine Woodworking.

Reply to
McQualude

"Bob Gramza" wrote

will buy that month.

Ive done much of this also. Prolly best to let almost all the subscriptions go and sift thru the crop of mags at Wally-world....Heck, they already get most of my pay check anyway!

Reply to
sawdust

Ditto...

George Berl> I like "WOOD" magazine.....been getting it for awhile now......

Reply to
Grandpa

You definitely want to keep FWW. I like Wood more and more every issue. Then I'd say Woodsmith and Shopnotes.

BTW: Whenever SWMBO complains about the number of magazines (I have it bad, started importing them from Canuckistan recently), I remind her how I don't smoke or gamble.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Tylicki

"sawdust" wrote in news:1tamc.28752$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews2.bellsouth.net:

FWW and Woodwork are my favorites for inspiring me to greater heights of craftsmanship and artistry.

Woodsmith and Shopnotes are excellent for showing in great detail how to build practical projects I can complete in a reasonable amount of shop time. They are also great for handing to one of my sons, to indicate what's involved in a project that, to them, looks simple when I do it.

Woodworkers Journal, American Woodworker and WOOD Magazine don't do much for me. YMMV.

I haven't started turning yet, so I cannot commment on that avenue.

None of the magazines has been able to get me through the challenges of complex finishing yet, but the shellac mavens here on the Wreck have helped me postpone many of those 'growth experiences' for a while. And the price is right, mostly.

Popular Mechanics is a fine choice, if you're so inclined. Particularly for someone with wide ranging experiences and tastes. But I don't do much, if any, metal.

Here's to hot meals that you don't have to cook yourself. Try to keep her happy!

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Wed, May 5, 2004, 11:03pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Bay=A0Area=A0Dave) burbled: leave it to you to suggest PM as the best woodworking mag...

I have been mis-quoted. Again. I did NOT say THE best. What I said was: =A0"The only one I like every single month is - Popular Mechanics."

That "I" like, every month. There IS a difference.

Possibly you have never perused a copy.

JOAT If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.

- Phil Pastoret

Reply to
J T

OK, I'm confused. You get 6 magazines by subscription and you are asking us which ones are the best. Can't you tell that by reading them when they arrive in your mailbox? I mean, you're already gettin' 'em - which ones do you like best?

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

are you kiddin?? I used to get a subscription to PM along with PS.

dave

J T wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Yepper, six subs plus another couple each month at the book store. At some point ive saved about every possible 'project plan' known to man-kind, so im thinking why im i buying advertising. I was just curious about what some other woodworkers read on a monthly basis. And from the response, about the same as me. My personal fav is woodworkers journal, because of the finishing hotline column by Michael Dresdner. Ive had some pretty picky customers looking for "special effects" in their picture frame finishes, and ive refered to his writings quite often.

Whats your fav dave?... davis woodshop

"David Hall" wrote

Reply to
sawdust

And, combined them, to come up with PMS? That could explain a lot.