woodworking mags

You may find it worthwhile to go to the web site listed below.

They have a large number of magazines at discount prices. Many magazines such as Popular Science can be obtained for $5.95 per year. FWW is available for $26 per year. Wood is available for $18 per year.

I subscribed to FWW when it started publishing and have carefully filed each copy. Now I can go back a pick out a half dozen old issues and they are as good as reading new magazines.

Dick

Reply to
Richard Cline

Which ones ? What do you like about them ?

(To declare a commercial interest here, I appear to be working as webmaster for the new site of

Andy Dingley

Now the content online or dvd and pay per article or issue :-)

kees (grünholz)

Reply to
kees laan

Well, I don't get 6 of 'em :), but I do currently get Wood and Workbench. I kinda like Wood as a middle of the road mag. I don't believe I have ever read Worker's Journal and may check it out. Fine Wood Working looks pretty, but I am just a hacker and not intending to do things like they present any time soon ;)

However, I have a pie safe (from one of Norm's books) in my family room that is full of either woodworking books or notebooks full of plans, jigs and tips printed from the internet. My wife has commented more than once that if having or reading printed material was an indication of ones woodworking skills and abilities, our whole house should be full of fine funiture and cabinetry ;)Heck the finishing books and printouts alone would make you think I must have advanced far beyond those cans of poly and pre-mixed shellac sitting out in the gara....er shop.

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

I flipped through my stack at the house and only found one, Furniture and Cabinetmaking. I have others but they are at my shop and I don't remember the titles off-hand. UK mags are only available in one local book store that happens to be in a very busy mall, so I only go there about once a year.

I like the UK mags because they feature a level of craftsmanship not seen in the US mags except in Woodwork and Fine Woodworking. The UK mags also feature a variety of furniture styles, the US mags, except for Woodwork, are almost always Shaker & Mission.

Woodwork is my favorite US mag because it focuses on the craftsman as much as the craft. I find that Fine Woodworking is formulaic just like Wood, Journal and the others.

Reply to
McQualude

Friend brought back some mags for me after his last trip to the UK. Liked Good Wookworking as well as New Woodworking. Like the metric measurements as opposed to that other archaic system. The Woodworker and Traditional Woodworking also had some good articles.

Reply to
Phil Hansen