Concealed hinges for 3/8" inset cabinet doors?

I have kitchen cabinets in stained (ply)wood, the doors are 3/4". They are 3/8" inset with hinges that are visible on the outside. I plan to strip and refinish the doors with a clear poly coat, and want to replace the handles and hinges. From what I see at the H*me D*pot and online, concealed hinges:

- need a pretty deep mortise that I'm not sure is possible with a 3/4" thick door

- are not listed for simultaneously inset and overlay doors such as these.

Therefore I was wondering if there are hinges made for this application, or what to look for in regular concealed hinges that will work here.

Thanks.

Reply to
Nexus7

Last year I refinished our kitchen cabinets that had oak raised panel doors and 3/8 inset hinges that came with the cabinets. After about 15+ years, a lot of the hinges had broken springs so the doors did not close properly.

I wanted to do the same thing that you want. Since I had some experience with the euro-type hinges, I thought that it would be easy to bore out a 35mm hole in the door and have a nice solid hinge which would be invisible. The

3/4 inch door would easily accomodate the mortise which I think is 1/2 inch or so.

Unfortunately, I was not able to find a euro hinge that would accomodate a 3/8 inset door. What I finally did was to upgrade to a much nicer looking viible hinge that had a sleek (smaller) barrel and a nice finial. These were not self-closing, so I also attached a magnetic catch to each door.

Looks a lot better than before, but I still wish that I could have used the concealed euro type.

Maybe someone else knows of such a hinge. Good luck!

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Reply to