Cabinet hinges

I'll need to make new wall cabinets (maple 3/4" ply, about 3' 6" tall). I'm thinking about hinges.

perhaps:

It seems to me that there are a few things to consider:

What tools are required to mount them?

How accurate do you have to be? I'd like to keep the doors close together with little space between them. I note some are adjustable.

Something better, cheaper?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Better is subjective.

Your choice of hinges depends a lot on how you are making the cabinets and doors...face frame or no?...overlay doors?...partial inset doors?...inset doors?

IMO, the easiest is face frame with 1/2" overlay doors. This is a hinge I like for that...inexpensive ($1.00 or so each) and easy to use. Two per door is adequate for your size door. No tools necessary to mount other than a screwdriver and something to make a pilot hole.

dadiOH

A variation...

dadiOH

Frameless with overlay doors.

That takes me in a direction I had not thought of. I'm thinking those need a face frame?

I know little about hinges but had been impressed by the european hinges I saw at IKEA. Those mount with the pocket and with a hole bored though the edge. That I didn't think I could do accurately. (not the 35mm but the edge bore) It looks to now that only IKEA mounts hinges that way.

I don't mind harder, or the cost. Just so I don't screw it up... At the moment I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around setting reveal.

I should be able to cut the cabinets and doors accurately. I have a radial arm and in a distant life I made a number of speaker cabinets. Beyond that I see that cabinetry is a whole new world.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

I have a friend who had a custom woodshop. When he bought a house, he had his guys build new kitchen cabinets and had them use the European hinges. He spent the next 25 years cursing them because they continuously got out of alignment..

Personally, I've never used them, know nothing about them, prefer face frames. _______________

What's the problem? And reveal where? Tops? Bottoms? Hinge edge to hinge edge? Adjacent edges opposite the hinge edges? If the latter, you need enough so the doors can open...that and/or bevel the edge inward. And if the doors are solid wood you need enough to accomodate seasonal expansion and contraction.

Reply to
dadiOH

"dadiOH" wrote

Rather than curse them for 25 years, he should have tried replacing them with a better quality brand. I've had some at home for the past 10 years, at work for the past 15 years. Never a problem.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski