Need help with wiring - John Deere 655

I'm really guessing here.

Connected that way I believe that if you ever started this thing it would drain the fuel tank too. [g]

The purpose is to shut the fuel off so the engine quits running.

There must be another contact someplace from the "ignition" switch to the fuel solenoid -or- from an oil pressure switch.

But what do I know, why not go to Wally World and buy a manual?

Wes Stewart

I have a JD 655 compact tractor/mower with a 3 cyl diesel engine. The starter went bad and I took it to a guy who fixes starters and alternators. He removed it from the tractor, took it apart and determined that he couldn't fix it.

I took it to another guy who fixed it. Now I need to re-install it on the tractor. No problem - except for one thing. Since the first mechanic removed it from the tractor, I didn't notice where all of the wires connect. Actually, I know where they all go except ONE. There is the battery cable and generator cable that connect to one side of the solenoid and the cable from the ignition switch to the solenoid.

The remaining wire runs over to what appears to be a fuel shutoff. I THINK it connects to the hot terminal on the solenoid but when I connect it, the fuel shutoff engages - even when the ignition is off. Obviously, this would drain the battery.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the purpose of this wire AND where it connects?

Thanks.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Jurgens

It's the fuel supply solenoid...on the 955 (which actually now I look the service manual covers the 655 thru 955) it connects on a side terminal on the starter...as I recall, it's on the back side where it's a real pita to get to when the starter is mounted so you may not be able to see it easily.

I assume this is the white?

Also, I've never seen a JD dealer that wouldn't answer such a question or supply a copy of the wiring diagram simply for the asking--particularly if one uses them for parts, etc., on a at least a reasonably regular basis--it's a reason to give them your business.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

up and you can browse thru parts illustrations for all JD products

Reply to
Brynk

Great...

The guys in the shop at JD know who you are, though, right???? :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Thanks Duane. That's exactly where it goes!

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Jurgens

No, they don't. This is my first John Deere. I bought it recently on eBay. It had a bad starter and JD wanted $400 for a new one.

Reply to
Chuck Jurgens

.....[top posting repaired]...

Well, you'll find in the long run it pays to make their acquaintance imo...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Chuck,

Go to Google and type in John Deer and it will take you to their web site. You can look up your tractor there and even the manual/s for tractors. They also have a "help" site.

Reply to
Man on the mountain

Need help 655 will not turn over battery is good but nothing goes on

Reply to
T fed

Just so you didn't miss the obvious. How do you know the battery is good? Are the battery terminals clean? Did you try to jump start the engine? Is there any sound like a click from the starter solenoid? Is there some sort of lockout that keeps the engine from turning over i.e. transmission have to be in neutral or park , clutch have be depressed before engine will crank? What about the mower if it has one? Does it have to be raised while starting or is there some sort of lever to keep it from running? Is there a separate lever that engages the PTO?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

On our John Deere L111, to start engine, you have to be sitting in the seat, blades lever in off position, and brake depressed.

Reply to
Anonymous

Best bet is it's bad ground -- 955 here turned out was bad replacement cable connector that looked fine superficially but wasn't.

After that, the seat, PTO interlocks...

--

Reply to
dpb

brake must be on, in neutral, blade dissengaged, and driver on the seat. From memory on my old JD lawn tractor.

Any one bad switch or connection can cause the problem. Try "jumping" the solenoid to rule it out.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

The 955 doesn't demand the brake; I presume 655 won't either altho the manual is downstairs and am too lazy to go look it up, but the

655/755/855/955 all have same base manual.

Well, did, but the only wiring diagram I have is 855/955; reminded me tho there is the fuse block on the dash RH side; could be a fuse as well as there is a fusible link in the starter line from +ive battery.

If have manual tranny, there's an in-neutral switch on it, too...this

955 is hydrostatic.

But, no sign of brake being in the starter interlock circuitry.

PTO, seat, tranny are it -- altho there is the glow plug timing module if is diesel--dunno if any of the 655s were or not.

--

Reply to
dpb

Yanmar 3 cyl. diesel

Dean Hoffman

Get a voltmeter and follow the wires to the ignition key, every safety switch, to the starter motor, and beyond. Then follow f rom the other pole of the battery or from the ground.

Stop guessing what is wrong and figure it out properly.

Reply to
micky

So they put the Yanmar and hydrostatic in the whole series -- @16 hp that's more than I thought the 655 probably had, about half the 955. I figured were 10 or so.

I'd still suspect cables first, but OP needs just start from battery and figure out where loses continuity/voltage along the way. Clare's suggestion to jump the solenoid to make sure it's ok is good quick check too.

Somebody had short-circuited the operator station switch before I bought this one so it's not the nuisance was with it -- it didn't/doesn't have an override to be able to get off or move without killing it. Just not practical for many farm operations.

Reply to
dpb

I can't speak for Deere, but my WheelHorse was famous for wiring problems involving the fuse holder block - I found a fuse badly melted last time and it wasn't obvious with a quick look - I needed to remove the fuse - to see the blade half-gone ! Also - the seat safety switch is a good thing - when it functions like my WheelHorse - it only shuts-down the engine if the blades are engaged - I can't understand why < apparently >

some other lawn tractors are wired differently ? John T.

Reply to
hubops

My JD lawn tractor shuts down the engine if either the blades are engaged or the parking brake is not set when the seat switch opens.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal