Need help with wiring - John Deere 655

Probably all are but...the X55 series are more than "just" lawnmowers; the 955 I have is 30HP Cat-1 3-pt plus 5-ft bucket loader or bale spear, etc., so it's a very useful little utility tractor.

The 655 is on the way low end on the HP and I don't know what the capacity of the frontend loader might be as to whether it could pick up a 1100-lb round bale high enough to move it around a little like the 955 can, but it'll still be more than just a mower.

One big PITA for me that is a deal breaker is the operator station switch is interlocked with the PTO as well so (for example) can't use the handheld wand with the sprayer. One could add an override switch but bypassed in the entirety if fine as I think really is unnecessary.

I also use the frontend load a lot as a third hand when working by myself. In that mode I operate the hydraulics from the ground. There are just any number of things to do that do while not on the tractor itself.

I hadn't realized it had the tranny interlock even, the only way to have the hydrostatic "in gear" would be to be physically pushing the forward/reverse pedal while trying to crank.

--

Reply to
dpb

On 8/31/2020 10:43 AM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote: ...

The Deere X55 series is a more conventional compact utility tractor than any other lawn tractor I've ever run across -- the whole series includes both 3-pt rear hitch plus they have both rear and mid- conventional six-spline PTO -- rear 540 rpm/mid at 2100 rpm @ 3200 engine rpm.

I suppose somebody else may make or have made such configuration as small as the 655 w/ 16HP engine, but all the consumer brands I'm aware of don't have rear PTO or 3-pt and most will use a belt drive for midmount mower instead of PTO shaft.

The trouble with the operator station shutting off the tractor if PTO is on is one outlined above -- if have a 3-pt sprayer with PTO-driven pump, then one can't get off to use the hand wand or the like...

It can be ok to have for just a mower, the Deere ZTR is set up like you describe and requires the hand brake to be set to get off even if blades aren't on. But, while sometimes a nuisance because forget, it's not really a problem in practice because it is only a mower; doesn't have PTO for other uses the utility tractors in question have that leads to other real uses that are not excessively risky.

One _could_ do really dumb things, of course, but that's on the operator imo.

--

Reply to
dpb

My Kubota B7800 (26hp, 22 at the PTO) has the 3-pt, rear 540 pto and midmount PTO for a mower deck. To keep the rear PTO running when dismounting the operators seat, the seat can be quickly flipped up (e.g. when using the backhoe attachment for which the PTO drives the hydraulic pump or when using a PTO-driven generator).

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

On 9/1/2020 9:59 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote: ...

Yeah, Kubota, Mahindra, New Holland, ... all do have line of compact utility tractors very similar--I was comparing to the Lowes/Menards/Home Depot sorta' lawn tractors that aren't anything similar that most folk think of.

Huh...hadn't seen that trick of there apparently being another position switch when seat is up? The 955 was in shop a couple years ago for some serious work (the bolts holding front/rear halves together had worked loose and actually broken a couple -- had to pull completely in two to get broken stubs out and replace. I didn't have any convenient place to set up to hold up the two halves so took it in to Mr Deere) and needed to do some spot spraying in time-critical window so borrowed a new similar-sized from dealer. It had same problem with the seat, stand up to find the next spot to go touch up and it die...I don't think flipping the seat up on it would have kept it going but never would have thought to try.

Reply to
dpb