John Deere SX75 ignition wiring?

I inheritied a John Deere SX75 9HP riding mower. Before I invest a lot of parts and money into it, I'd like to see if I can get it running.

What I need is the wiring configuration I need to try to start it.

Connecting battery directly to starter turns over but doesn't allow spark. I have no key, and can't find a replacement key that will work yet, even from the dealer. I won't mind a new ignition once I verify it will run. Wonder if anyone knows what wires I need to jumper to try a start?

Thanks!

Reply to
Syzygy

I don't know what engine your JD SX75 has, but if it's a Kohler, then you can go to the Kohler website and download an engine manual that has ignition schematics.

Most JD's are magneto spark. Just an electromagnetic coil mounted close to the flywheel. One end of the coil goes to the spark plug and the other end goes to ground. The ignition key only grounds the spark plug end when in the off position. That's probably why yours won't run. Other terminals on the key connect the battery voltage to a starter solenoid in the "Start" position. (That's a high current relay) It takes quite a bit of current to crank the engine. In the key "Run" position, this voltage is disconnected.

Hope this makes enough sense. Hard to explain without a diagram.

Reply to
Joe