2 way switch colours?

2 way stairs lighting existing cable is red, white and blue (with a single separate black wire carrying the earth) New cable is Black Brown and Light Grey + earth included (to be sheathed) so, Red to brown, but white and blue? what goes where?
Reply to
Vass

Weird. Many use triple and earth for two way switching, but this is (was) red, blue and yellow with the ECC bare as ordinary TW&E, and this should be sleeved in green/yellow. Black is the old colour for neutral, not earth, so sort that out pronto.

There is no standard for which colours to use in a two-way switch circuit, so you need to look at how it's wired at the other switch.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

no probs, understood thanks Dave

Reply to
Vass

Didn't we have this before, where the yellow appeared to have gone white?

Reply to
EricP

Stripped it right back, most certainly white did it used to me Red, Blue and Yellow then?

Reply to
Vass

It probably is red, blue and white with no earth. I believe that particular cable stopped being used around 1966.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

house built 1961 !

Reply to
Vass

White and yellow were always alternatives for the 'yellow' phase on three phase supplies.

Reply to
<me9