Aldi, the German discounter

I reckon I can beat about two thirds of checkout staff. Careful belt-loading is, as John says, one of the secrets. Having plenty of bags is another.

Reply to
newshound

Some of the latest Lidl stores have them , Ringwood is one that does. Store opened last year. It was Aldi policy that they did not have any.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Yes. Both plastic, and in some shops, paper.

Reply to
S Viemeister

No-one is forcing you to shop in Aldi/Lidl but until you have seen how well the system it works in the majority of cases you will continue to spend longer waiting for service in the bigger supermarket chains.

Reply to
alan_m

I also check the hardware regularly. I use their washing and dishwashing products, also the "luxury" choc ices are particularly good. If you like continental type food, they are good for charcuterie, also the fattening christmas fare like Stollen and other cake/biscuit stuff. The malt whisky isn't bad either. I find the fruit, vegetables, fish, and meat pretty competitive although their bacon is not quite as good as the "taste the difference" stuff. The other thing about varying the shopping pattern is that Sainsburys and Tesco then regularly come up with offers like a tenner off a £70 shop.

Reply to
newshound

alan_m formulated on Thursday :

Jean annoys me with that. Even if I deal with the purchases, she leaves getting a card out until the last second.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Correct. And do, we do.

Reply to
Huge

No. *You* are welcome to repeatedly fill and empty your trolley. I'll go to a supermarket where they understand who pays their wages.

Reply to
Huge

No, you don't understand. *I* am not "meant" to do anything. If a supermarket operates in a way I don't care for, I don't go there. Simples.

Reply to
Huge

Why would you want to put tomatoes in the freezer?

Reply to
Huge

Which is another good point. Unusual if that really is dennis.

Reply to
Huge

A Belgian Supermarket chain, Coltuyt, does the same except that their checkout operators don't even have anywhere to sit!

Intersting - we didn't know what to expect the first time we used one but a Brit living there recommended them to us.

The floors are plain concrete and the shelves are industrial racking. Some of their stuff is own brands - we always bring back large quantities of their ground coffee in 1.5kg packs and much cheaper because of the large pack size and their cheese has a long shelf life - we've been caught out in other stores where it goes mouldy in the fridge long before its best before date.

We always make a point of stocking up on every trip before catching the ferry home. The only thing to watch out for is that the only plastic they accept is a strictly Belgian card which is not allied to either Visa or Mastercard, so everything we buy as to be a cash transaction.

Completely unlike any other supermarket either here or in Europe and ranks joint top of the Belgian supermarket business.

Reply to
Terry Casey
[21 lines snipped]

Damn. And *so*, we do.

Reply to
Huge

Not when you factor in the increased theft.

Reply to
Andrew

That's one less person in the queue in front of me. :)

Reply to
pamela

On 04/01/2018 16:54, Jeff Layman wrote: >

A lot of people re-pack at the car.

Reply to
alan_m

don't think I have done. But it's what I do.

Reply to
charles

Oh, I quite agree. The coffee has been the major exception!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Certainly possible in mine. We always do it.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You ask that on a DIY group?

Reply to