Calling all Aldi cement mixer fans...

Yes I'm afraid I did go and buy one last week - hey, at £129 and a 3-year warranty it's got to be worth a go?
Anyway, this afternoon's project was to assemble the beast. Took some time given that the whole kit was reduced to a box about 18" cube, and the instructions don't bear a whole lot of resemblance to reality... anyway, I now have the usual problem of having a small pile of components left over - which is never a good thing, is it?
I'll probably try ringing the manufacturer next week, but I wondered if anyone else had been there, done that, and had the answers? Here's the list:
- Short length of chain with retaining bolts at either end - Length of plain steel rod, about 300mm x 8mm - 4 'fibrous' washers - I already used 4 inside the drum, interposed between the blades and the inside of the drum - was that right? - Lots of spring washers which weren't mentioned at all, but aren't enough to use everywhere possible - where's most important?
Plenty more small bits and pieces, and I'm sure most are just spare. I must admit though, it's the chain which has me most foxed!
David
Add pictures here
✖
Lobster wrote:

I suspect the chain is for holding something into position or stopping it going further than its normal setting?
--
Sir Benjamin Midllethwaite

Add pictures here
✖
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

You'd think so, but I'll be damned if I can see where! It's only puny, too.
David
Add pictures here
✖
Lobster wrote:

Throw some pics up of it in four different angle positions
--
Sir Benjamin Midllethwaite

Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 19:03:27 GMT, Lobster

One end connects to the frame of the mixer, the other to the ankle iron of the newly arrived Eastern European. Hurry up before the Chinese get him!
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Is it used for easing the drive belt on and off? If not, it must be a special free poking stick for poking people.

Possibly the other four go on the outside? I assume they are to prevent water leaking out.

Anywhere that'll shake loose.

It's always better to have too many parts rather than not enough..
sponix
Add pictures here
✖

There could be even more after it's switched on :-)
--

.andy

Add pictures here
✖
sponix wrote:

Yup, I have seen some used like that - a bit like attaching the chuck key to the flex of the drill ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

✖
John Rumm wrote:

That's certainly the grade and length of chain you'd expect for that sort of job; but no, there's nothing like a locking pin anywhere. It's actually one of the machines's disadvantages which I can see immediately IMHO, which is that it doesn't collapse easily (ie you'd need spanners and it would be awkward) like those proper Bell jobs which sit on removable stands; ie, really it needs a trailer or van to transport it.
Where's Chris P. Bacon when you need him!? ISTR he bought one of these too?
Seems to have been made in Doncaster, and amazingly, a phone number is provided, so I'll give them a bell (no pun intended) tomorrow and hopefully find out!
David
Add pictures here
✖
Lobster wrote:

This is for aligning the pulleys.
CRB
Add pictures here
✖
crb wrote:

could be for locking the mixer drum in place while it mixes and taken out when the you empty the drum?
--
Sir Benjamin Midllethwaite

Add pictures here
✖

LOL - it makes me glad I didn't buy one.. ;-)
Add pictures here
✖
Paul Andrews wrote:

Not everyone can put a flatpack together. ;-)
--
Sir Benjamin Midllethwaite

Add pictures here
✖
Lobster wrote:

Buy another three mixers and you should have enough bits left over to build another one!
:-)
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
Lobster wrote:
Answers from the manufacturer below!:

The housing covering the motor is in two halves; one mounted to the mixer frame, the other (like a lid) is attached to the first half with three bolts. Cable feeding the motor (also attached to frame) is clipped to inside of the 'lid' to avoid it snagging the drive belt, also within the housing - however that means that if you ever need to undo the lid it will hang on the electrical cable if not restrained. So the chain connects the lid to the other half of the housing to take the weight of the lid if it's unscrewed.

"Ah yes, quite a few people have phoned about that." Mistake - shouldn't be in the pack!

"Erm... shouldn't be any loose ones of those...!" (used in the manufacture but not needed at the diy assembly stage).
Oh well - at least I was able to readily talk to someone who knew what they were talking about, which you might not expect for an el cheapo Aldi product.
David
Add pictures here
✖
Lobster wrote:

You saved £70 compared to buying the same product from Tesco...
I'm glad you started this thread - I haven't put mine together yet!
Add pictures here
✖

I pray I'll never need a cement mixer again, so I can't say I inspected the offer at Aldi very closely. I do know that they usually sell very good quality stuff at lower prices than the traditional stores. I also know that a lot of people wish they wouldn't and act accordingly.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Didn't know you could speak Chinese, or was it a call to Meccano? :-)
--

.andy

Add pictures here
✖
Andy Hall wrote:

Doncaster actually - via a direct dial, standard rate number which was provided for a customer-service type in the instructions. And as Donny was in fact the town of my birth I was able to make out what he was on about!
Seems like the mixer was actually manufactured there, in fact, rather than in the Far East - although maybe they just put Chinese-made components into cartons in Doncaster and call that 'manufacture', I don't know. Company's called Nutool.
David
Add pictures here
✖
Lobster wrote:

I though their stuff was usually stamped "Felixstows" on the packing crates - ie, the port of entry on its way from the Far East.
MBQ
Add pictures here
✖