Aldi Ash Vac

Aldi dont publish details of their offer items on their website, so I bought an Ash Vac, prompted by the assertion that the ash container was "fire resistant".

I was hoping the thing would clear some of the debris from a peat fire that is left in the morning after emptying the stove receptacle.

'Opened the box and the first label I saw was 40 degrees Centigrade max.

It went back.

What's the point of a flame resistant body if the thing is restricted to vacuuming material 40 degrees and less.

My Wickes Wet & Dry has no problem with those temperatures.

I would suspect that the warranty would be null & void if you vacuumed a dark coloured vehicle in summer.

Now why didn't they put the temperature rating on the outside?

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

I suspect as its an extra note that nobody realised the limitation and then they got loads of fused melted innards of vacuums back for refunds! Things may seem obvious to some but be not so to others, usually those designing stuff.

Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

What temperatures?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

One thing to remember is that when wizzing around finely divided warm embers in a gale they can come to life again. So you need to think about your hose and filter, not just the container.

Reply to
newshound

An infinite number of the things =< 40 degrees C

I have never actually measured the temperature of what goes up the Wickes Wet & Dry, but I do use it for hot ash and have been doing so for around two years now. I certainly couldn't scoop the stuff up in my mitt, which would definitely put it up above 40.

I woudln't normally use a vacuum for such a purpose, but the wet bit was totally outperformed by a Nilfisk and the dry bit by a Meile [One that wasn't crippled by the EU Green Police], so the poor old Wickes gets the full mistreatment.

It doesn't even die efficiently either, it hasn't grumbled a bit over the misuse!!

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

I suspect a lot of things are brought into life via a mouse & monitor.

I remember commissioning a belt press on a treatment works some years back. A common design with the addition of new stainless panels along the sides for odour control.

Thick stainless [for rigidity] around 2.75metres high by 1.5 metres wide.

These were mounted in a slight recess at the base of the machine with two locks to keep it in place, these were the rotating finger type often used for cloakroom lockers.

The lunacy was completed by two plastic handles either side of the plate around half way up. These were of a similar type used for cheap kitchen cupboards.

The half way up the plates was about four meters off the floor.

To remove a panel it took two people, it was a very difficult job and involved two sets of steps.

That little fiasco couldn't have been done in the days before CAD packages I'm sure.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

I bought the version of this which has no vacuum cleaner built in, but couples up to your existing vacuum cleaner. The drum is almost a cyclone, and with the addition of a couple of plastic plumbing parts to direct the air inlet into a spiral inside the drum, it makes an excellent cyclone separator with a capacity much higher than most vacuum cleaners. I used it as a pre-vacuum cleaner filter to suck loads of sawdust out of an attic which had been put there as insulation very many decades ago.

As another poster said, none of these will be suitable for burning embers. The embers will almost explode back into life in such an air flow.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel