Aldi, the German discounter

Why do the media insist on calling Aldi a discount store? I've never seen " discounted" goods in their stores, and they don't try and bamboozle you wit h BOGOF deals, loyalty cards and all that rubbish. In fact that's probably why they're so successful. That and applying commonsense to their strategy. The late Andy Hall must be turning in his grave, having predicted that the Lidl/Aldi style of retailing would never catch on.

Reply to
stuart noble

"discounted" goods in their stores, and they don't try and bamboozle you w ith BOGOF deals, loyalty cards and all that rubbish. In fact that's probabl y why they're so successful. That and applying commonsense to their strateg y.

e Lidl/Aldi style of retailing would never catch on.

One thing puzzles me about them: why no self-service checkouts? They are ch eaper.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

because its MO is to sell exclusively no-name "discount" products.

Which is what in Germany is exactly what it does

but here, the UK obsession with "brands" means that they have to stock some of them

tim

Reply to
tim...

My local (Sheffield) Aldi put some in recently.

Reply to
RJH

Because it would slow things down, their tills operate at the speed of light, and with the queues they need to!

Reply to
Broadback

They were the first to have barcodes and scanners that worked, Their barcodes were bigger and longer, things just flew through with no mistakes while other retailers were having to manually enter numbers all the time, now the other retailers have caught up,probably the suppliers gave others the same size barcodes.

Reply to
FMurtz

Another reason not to go there, then. What's the point if the checkout operators go faster than you can pack?

Reply to
Huge

I went to aldi to get some bisto but they didn;t have any, only their own brand so I left and went to the local corner shop.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Are they? Possibly only in stores where the check-out staff are so inefficient. When I use Tesco/Sainsbury/Asda I find their checkout so slow compared to the no nonsense approach of my local Aldi/Lidl

Reply to
alan_m

Always long queues in our local Lidls; never enough tills manned (womanned? personned?)

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Possibly, one reason is that the staff at Lidl/Aldi tend to be foreign and don't have enough english to indulge in conversation. But you still get the customer who has to wonder where they've put their purse - this tends to slow things.

Reply to
charles

staffed!

Reply to
charles

That's ok - the type of service you expect pisses off a lot of shoppers in these stores.when delaying the checkout process.

You are not meant to pack at the checkout - you put the items back in the trolley and then pack at the shelf area set aside for the purpose.

I suspect as it reduces staff costs because they need fewer staff that other supermarkets will soon start adopting the same policies in order to become more completive. Aldi/Lidl have proved that shoppers are more than prepared to accept fast checkouts, no loyalty cards, no delays when handing out useless bits of paper to support schools etc. Judging by the number of expensive cars in Alsi/Lidl car parks these days its not only the "poor" that use these stores.

Reply to
alan_m

The idea is all goods are whizzed back into your trolley, and there's an area set aside for you to pack. I believe you can also remove surplus packaging and leave it for the store to dispose of.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Thye biggest slowdown I:ve foind is the small amount of packing space that you get at the end of the till, hardly enough space for one bag. The best tills I;ve seen are those where you have a seprators so if someone is slow at picking up their staff then you juts sent the next customers stuff to the other side.

Reply to
whisky-dave

A newer LiDL here has them, they're just an annoying as other supermarkets' self-checkouts

Reply to
Andy Burns

Sainsbury's seemed to give up on those by the late 70's ... and the automatic coin dispensing chutes for your change.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ahh, so I have to take out and put back my stuff *three* times, instead of twice, as in a "normal" supermarket. So, that's two reasons not to go there.

Reply to
Huge

though that system only works if the shoppers are all trained to put the stuff back into the trolley and pack their bags at the rear counter

now all the the yummy mummies have started to see shopping in Aldi as acceptable, that system is broken

tim

Reply to
tim...

if you want to pay for someone to pack your bags

shop in Waitrose

tim

Reply to
tim...