Aldi, the German discounter

Why do the media insist on calling Aldi a discount store? I've never seen " discounted" goods in their stores, and they don't try and bamboozle you wit h BOGOF deals, loyalty cards and all that rubbish. In fact that's probably why they're so successful. That and applying commonsense to their strategy. The late Andy Hall must be turning in his grave, having predicted that the Lidl/Aldi style of retailing would never catch on.
On Thursday, 4 January 2018 09:50:30 UTC, stuart noble wrote:

"discounted" goods in their stores, and they don't try and bamboozle you w ith BOGOF deals, loyalty cards and all that rubbish. In fact that's probabl y why they're so successful. That and applying commonsense to their strateg y.

e Lidl/Aldi style of retailing would never catch on.
One thing puzzles me about them: why no self-service checkouts? They are ch eaper.
NT

My local (Sheffield) Aldi put some in recently.
--
Cheers, Rob

Are they? Possibly only in stores where the check-out staff are so inefficient. When I use Tesco/Sainsbury/Asda I find their checkout so slow compared to the no nonsense approach of my local Aldi/Lidl
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

Always long queues in our local Lidls; never enough tills manned (womanned? personned?)
--

Chris

staffed!
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

On 04/01/2018 11:30, Chris Hogg wrote:

One of the ways they keep their costs down. One of the reasons Lidl and Waitrose have a somewhat different demographic.
No idea whether self-service checkouts are cheaper or not, when you look at the capital costs and the fact that you need one person per few tills to sort out the problems.

Corse they are when you have one person per 6 self checkouts.

Those arent likely to be much higher with self checkouts than manned ones.

And to minimise fraud by the customers.

Possibly, one reason is that the staff at Lidl/Aldi tend to be foreign and don't have enough english to indulge in conversation. But you still get the customer who has to wonder where they've put their purse - this tends to slow things.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

On Thursday, 4 January 2018 11:36:32 UTC, charles wrote:

Thye biggest slowdown I:ve foind is the small amount of packing space that you get at the end of the till, hardly enough space for one bag. The best tills I;ve seen are those where you have a seprators so if someone is slow at picking up their staff then you juts sent the next customers stuff to the other side.
whisky-dave wrote:

Sainsbury's seemed to give up on those by the late 70's ... and the automatic coin dispensing chutes for your change.

Does anyone pay with cash any more?
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 4th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3184

if it's less than a fiver
tim

Yep, some of our povs do.
On Thu, 04 Jan 2018 03:49:09 -0800, whisky-dave wrote:

Because you're meant to put it back in the trolley and then pack at your leisure.

A deeply shit idea.
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 4th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3184
On Thu, 04 Jan 2018 12:07:08 +0000, Huge wrote:

I actually like it, because I get the chance to sort it all out as I want.
Sometimes I need to separate out particular purchases into separate bags; much easier in my own time. And given that (apart from the thick mummies) most people pack that way, the checkouts run really fast.
On Thursday, 4 January 2018 12:28:28 UTC, Bob Eager wrote:

.
.
I can still do that while in the queue, I put the large items at the front so they get scanned first, so get to put them in the bag first.

I rarely need to do that except for weight distribution or frozen stuff, bu t I can stil do this while in the queue and having two carrier bags at the bottom of a sainsbury till is doable.

On 04/01/2018 12:28, Bob Eager wrote:

I just load stuff on to the conveyor in the order I want it packed - so frozen first, fridge next, etc - that way I can just fill bags in real time at the other end.
--
Cheers,

John.
On Thursday, 4 January 2018 14:14:00 UTC, John Rumm wrote:

If I run out of real time I use artificial time, you can buy it in tins that can be resealed to keep it fresh ;-)