Aldi, the German discounter

I notice the latest generation of self-scan tills being re-fitted into most supermarkets now are much better at scanning at wonky angles and at decent speed of swiping, also they aren't powered by a lame hamster, they still have XP though when you see them getting rebooted.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Self-scan and self-checkout (which is theoretically possible in Tesco) would be awesome, except that you can't buy alcohol that way because a member of staff has to check that you're over 18 (something that Tesco already know, because you have to register for a Club Card to use self-scan) and of the first 5 times we used it, we were "selected" for a shoplifting check (*) four times.

(* The fact that it was to check for shoplifting was strenuously, spuriously and rudely denied by a member of the supervisory staff.)

Reply to
Huge

Does anyone pay with cash any more?

Reply to
Huge

But not quick, thus typing up more space.

Given that *all* Aldi staff (including managers) are expected to pitch in and run checkouts as necessary, and that you are expected to pack

*afterwards* and not at the checkout, they make pretty efficient use of space. If the checkouts are quiet, the staff are redeployed to other tasks. They are basically trained to do everything.
Reply to
Bob Eager

why would they not be?

FWIW, my local Pound Shop has them

tim

Reply to
tim...

Because you're meant to put it back in the trolley and then pack at your leisure.

Reply to
Bob Eager

An idea that would stop me going there. We've only been in the local Aldi once, in search of decaf coffee, which they didn't have, so we left. There isn't a local Lidl.

Reply to
Huge

A deeply shit idea.

Reply to
Huge

You can't even buy alcohol-free beer which all claim to be less than

0.1% on the label, despite (IIRC) it being legal for people of all ages to buy shandy type drinks with up to 0.5% alcohol.
Reply to
Andy Burns

Fuckwit computer programmers "gold plating" the fuckwitted alcohol laws, probably.

Reply to
Huge

You saved yourself from some horrid coffee.

I share ground coffee and an aeropress with a chap at one of my customers, I know he tends to shop at lidaldi, my opinion is that I'm going to the hassle of fresh coffee because I want *nice* coffee, once he decided to buy some 'Belarom' coffee, after one taste it went in the bin, even he described it as floor sweepings.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Phew. Good to know.

Reply to
Huge

Don't know what you mean by "theoretically possible".

Well obviously they're going to do a shoplifting check from time to time. Surprised you even bothered to ask. Although your hit rate does sound a bit high.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I actually like it, because I get the chance to sort it all out as I want.

Sometimes I need to separate out particular purchases into separate bags; much easier in my own time. And given that (apart from the thick mummies) most people pack that way, the checkouts run really fast.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I gave up on the self-scan gadgets, as I found I went in late at night, then arrived at the tills to find they'd closed the self-scan station, and wanted me to queue at the one or two manned tills to get everything re-scanned, didn't do my blood pressure any good storming out leaving the full basket on the floor.

Sainsbury's seem to be taking the different types of tills too far now, they have operator tills, basket-only operator tills, tills for self-scanning at the checkout, tills for self-scanning with the hand-held devices, and now tills for self-scanning using your own mobile phone.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Which is fine in theory, except you are now lifting stuff in and out of the trolley twice.

Reply to
John Rumm

I think the idea is they only sell discounted products, so generally there are no bogoffs, or further special reductions. Consequently, they don't sell premium brands (e.g. you probably won't find Kelloggs Corn Flakes), and usually have an own brand with similar packaging.

I mainly use them for browsing their limited time hardware products, and because it's a nice stretch bicycle ride there and back. I do try food from there occasionally, but I can tell the difference between theirs and my local Waitrose, even if many people apparently can't. There are one or two food things they have which I buy regularly. They have no fast checkouts - if I go in and there are significant checkout queues (and most people have full trollies), I do a U-turn and exit immediately. They should probably get that fixed.

Just mentioned on Radio 4, Aldi are planning to open several hundred new stores by 2020, mainly in the South East where they are apparently under-represented, and because their customer base is becoming higher class, i.e. not just stealing Asda, Tesco, and Sainsbury customers, this Christmas probably saw them taking share from Waitrose and M&S too (not all figures are available yet - will be in a few weeks). Apparently their hardware/clothing/household section stole significant trade from Debenhams this Christmas too.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I don]t use a trolly I use a basket as most people do and those that do use a trolly there's not enough space on the counter to empty the trolly so you actually need two trollys which take up far to much room.

I must admit that I;ve never noticed anyone queuing with theri shopping on the belt and carrying an empty basket.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I can still do that while in the queue, I put the large items at the front so they get scanned first, so get to put them in the bag first.

I rarely need to do that except for weight distribution or frozen stuff, bu t I can stil do this while in the queue and having two carrier bags at the bottom of a sainsbury till is doable.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Dorking, Leatherhead & Guildford

Reply to