ALDI

This looks rather good for £70;

video borescope with built-in adjustable dual LED light source to illuminate objects. Complete with three retrieval tools and mirror attachment.

Flexible gooseneck retains configured shape TFT monitor with 2.5'' screen size

2 White LEDs Power supply: 6V DC (4 x AA) Camera diameter: 10mm Video input/output Power on/off indicator Battery low indicator AVI output 4 x AA batteries included
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Colour or B&W? Angle of view? Camera and screen resoloution, they could very different? How does one control which way the camera is pointing? I wonder how stiff or not the camera cable is? If it's not at least self supporting it'll be very difficult to control.

Got to admit it could still be a handy device to see what is in a void through a small hole though.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

To think I had to go to the local hospital for an endoscopy the other =

day...

Reply to
polygonum

>>> Flexible video borescope with built-in adjustable dual LED light source

There's a limit to introspection!

Reply to
PeterC

I bought one yesterday, and went back to buy another one as a present for someone else. Not had a long play with it yet though.

It's colour. It has a pair of white LEDs which you can vary the brightness off, but they don't get very bright, so it won't throw light very far in a dark place. It says it's 480 x 234,

54 degrees. The gooseneck is 90cm long. It has a video output and cable which works with my TV (this blanks the internal display, but rather stupidly doesn't turn it off). Comes with some attachments for the end - a couple of fish hooks a tiny mirror, and a magnet, but no biopsy or polyp snips. The gooseneck claims to be waterproof and has a max water level marker right back at the display end, and instructions even tell you to wash it after poking it down the drains. I don't think you can rotate the camera, although I haven't tried twisting it too hard. You can rotate the image through 180 degress from the controls. (From reading the manual, I thought this was going to mirror flip it, but it doesn't, it rotates it.)

Most difficult part is getting the rubber shock covering off (without breaking it) to fit the batteries in. (Takes 4xAA).

It's not going to be the last word in borescopes (probably the light output is the most limiting factor), but I can think of several occasions when it would have been useful.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Flexible video borescope with built-in adjustable dual LED light source

I saw that - but concluded it's too short to be of much use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Looks to be about 75cm. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

I found this thread interesting, but I can't think what the device could be used for. Could someone give a couple of examples?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Checking the condition of engine main bearings through the oil drain hole instead of taking it out and re-building. Checking the condition of Wall cavities using a small hole. DIY Proctology .. ;) Removing bits of broken spark plug from engines without stripping down. Drain inspection, albeit limited .. Checking the condition of anything to which the only access is a small hole .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

You can't see the actual bearings without dismantling.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, but you can see if they're gunged up or dis-coloured or if there's a build up of sludge elsewhere or bits of an old piston etc .. it was a general suggestion really ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Retrieving items dropped into parts of cars where they should not be - eg dropping screws into an inlet manifold.

Inspecting difficult to reach locations, for example on one of my cars it is very difficult to reach/see the connector for the throttle body sensor without dismantling a large amount of other stuff. Being able to inspect the connector to decide if the dismantling was necessary would be useful.

There are also many voids in my home that need occasional inspection for signs of deterioration such as water ingress.

If you can't see a need for one, you obviously don't need one.

Reply to
Steve Firth

And also a tad expensive compared to some of the other stuff available. If you already have a laptop PC (and I suspect most of us do) then all that is needed is a USB borescope, a 5 metre borescope costs £18 (ish) from several suppliers on ebay and would probably be more usable than the Aldi offering.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The borescope could probably be used as a bronchoscope to inspect the bronchial tubes for signs of tar deposits, pulmonary emphysema, lung cancer and other bronchial diseases caused by smoking.

This is probably what the OP had in mind.

Reply to
Interloper

10mm in diameter? Like to see you get that past someone's vocal cords and still leave enough room to breath!

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

I thought that was about the size of the one I "swallowed" a little whil= e ago. Checked and a random site suggested that current endoscopes are =

typically 9mm wide.

Indeed I then found:

"Most routine upper GI endoscopes are between 8 and 11=B7mm in diameter.= "

polygonum

If the engine has cornered with a low level then the white metal can melt and ooze out of the bearing caps like icicles - seen it with my own eyes 30 years ago on an 'A Series'

Reply to
The Other Mike

tape it to your willy before you have a session with the missus??

Reply to
Gazz

GI= Gastro-Intestinal, not bronchial.

Reply to
GB

Yep, as you say, that's "GI" (gastro-intestinal), not for bronchoscopy (looking down airways) which is what was being proposed.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie