Aldi this Thursday

'Home Improvement Special Buys'.

Drill

Ladders

Electric spray paint gun

And more.

Their online ordering system looks pretty good, and free at the moment. Online works better for me because of the email receipt.

Reply to
RJH

most overpriced though

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Sounds like a call to arm up. What's the project. Revolution?

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

When compared to which other suppliers that include a 3 year warranty?

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Is that what you buy your tools based on? :)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It is a factor when considering a budget tool purchase for me. At least it provides a backstop if shit happens. In practise, Aldidl tool purchases have been reliable and I've not had to return anything under warranty. I was trying to discover where you consider that better VFM can be obtained?

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I like the look of the drill at the price. The info doesn't mention either the inclusion or the availability of a spare battery. Are the batteries a generic item, available from other sources?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Any opinions on the 'Universal Wood Care Oil'?

I have the dregs of some Liberon Finishing Oil which originally came from TS but they don't sell it any more. It's done rather well, so looking for something similar to replace.

The Aldi stuff is very non-descriptive, but comes in several shades which suggests it's more of a stain than an oil? Plus it comes in a tin not a can which suggests it's intended for brush rather than cloth application.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

It does indicate a degree of confidence in the product that other manufacturers don't have in theirs.

No it doesn't. The rate of returns is low, even lower for better tools. Paying for extended warranties is just not a good deal.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

All that I have bought have been excellent value for money and cost no more than other tools with a 'name'. On that basis, I don't see myself as paying for an extended warranty. Certainly not in the same sense that PC World et al would want me to buy.

I've never had a bad buy from Aldi.

On that basis, I don't see myself

Agreed. The two are entirely different things.

Reply to
David Lang

My point is that an extended warranty is of little value. Whether you like Aldi's tools for other reasons is what counts.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It is of little value - until you need it. And if of little value, why don't all others do the same?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Indeed. If spare batteries were easy to come by, they'd be almost perfect.

Many/most of their power tools appear to be made by a number of German outfits who also sell their own stuff in Germany. Which apart from some fiddled emission figures, probably speaks for itself.

michael adams

michael adams

So if the whatever goes tango uniform at two years and 364 days, you wouldn't claim on its warranty? The warranty would be of no value?

As far as I'm concerned, the warranty would be of equal value to the replacement cost of the whatever.

I did chase the trail of one of ALDI's workzone bench drills to Austria. I'd say it probably came there in kit from China.

Nothing much wrong with it, except in the gear case the intermediate pulley wheel occasionally gets stuck with grime and needs a small clean and oil to ensure reliable running. Got that job to do now, again.

Cost me £24.95 - which was a bit of a bargain to me, for something solid that weighs so much.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Oh boy. Can no-one do basic statistics/maths these days?

Meh, I'm not wasting my time on this.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Looks like you can't.

Then that will save some time for those of us who understand the value of a three year warranty included at minimal cost (nothing is free - just in case you hadn't realised).