ALDI

Excellent reading on all aspects of endoscopy here...

nb: don't DIY this will ya;)....

tony sayer

I don't need to - my wife used to be an endoscopy nurse, I've heard enough about it!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Same here, but the only unoleasant part was a delay with one so the spray had started to wear off. With the first one, I couldn't swallow the smallest 'scope; /I/ had to suggest going up a size and that worked OK. Might be due to so many decades of eating a lot and getting the food down as fast as I could. Did end up with a sore throat for a few hours each time - don't know how that happened.

Reply to
PeterC

I had mine without sedation - just an anaesthetic spray/swallow down the throat. It was entirely optional whether to have sedation.

The report, sent to my GP, said "Strong gag reflex". And that is how I remember it - definitely glad I had an empty stomach - and so were they. :-)

Several uncontrollable heaves when it was well down towards my stomach, and the rest was fine. And quite a lot of burping afterwards as they pump air into the stomach.

I would do the same again - but ask for more spray.

===================================

Same here. Very gaggy to start with - but I found that if I held the pipe to one side of my mouth with my tongue, uncomfortable though it was, I could prevent the constant gagging. Definitely better than being sedated though.

Reply to
John Whitworth

I had a gastroscopy recently, and it was no big deal - just with spray. OTOH, I was supposed to have one 20 years ago, and they couldn't get the damn thing down me. Apparently, it varies then. :)

Anyway, I didn't want people to feel that it's a dreadful procedure. It's not that bad.

Reply to
GB

We recently bought one of these:

stuck it to the end of our drain rods. The video we got of the pipe run, was pretty amazing.

Including the cost of drain rods, it worked out almost the same price as the short ALDI unit. Although, the cost of attaching the laptop, and burning the Video Disc, worked out considerably more.

BigWallop

From my wife's experience as an endoscopy nurse (some years ago now) the doctors varied a lot. Some would fully anaesthetise or at least sedate the very nervous patients, while one wouldn't even use the anaesthetic spray on any patient!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

My gagging was slightly different. I was under a general and as they were bringing me round, they removed the tubes and I brought up a small quantity of fluid, that promptly went into my lungs. I started choking and the last thing I remember is struggling for breath and thrashing around as someone said, "we'll have to get him under again." They later told me that it took six of them to hold me down.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

The moral seems to be : don't shop at ALDI

Reply to
Bob Martin