Air tools at Aldi

Compressor for 80, loads of air tools cheap.
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/offers_week09sunday09.htm
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Compressed Air cutting tools, chain saws, axes, angle grinders, welding kits, circular saws,...
"How did you lose your fingers?"
"Oh, bought something on impulse at Aldi. Should have asked and got something more suitable for the job."
Not myself having too many issues about tools bought there, but am wondering if the NHS has an accident book of DIY'ers incorrectly using commercial class tools that are normally offered into the hands of people under supervised training, and doing Health and Safety at Work courses as a prerequisite.
The power of Compressed air scares me....
--
Adrian C

No more scary in practice than electricity. And perhaps intrinsically more safe.
--
*Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites?

I don't see anything on that list that's particularly dangerous and some tools, such as the air bradder/nailer are IMO much safer than the electric equivalent. I have a Tacwise electric nailer and it's crap, the kickback is much greater than the air tool and the nailer also marks the workpiece and fails to set nails correctly.
The air tool is much better, more positive in action with no kickback. Hence IMO safer.
The other tools on that list are all of a type that I own. I find each to be lighter, more controllable and hence (again IMO) safer than the electric equivalent.

Looks an interesting deal. Great horsepower at 2.5HP and the flowrate of 270L/m or 9.5cfm sounds really good too. Plenty of useful tools including a spray gun. Pity about the small tank though. Question is, would a 24L tank be enough to spray something like an average car bonnet in one go? or would it be limited to such as a wing? Got to admit that I'm tempted at that price.
Wavey Dave
Dave wrote:

I saw the ad as well. Just couldn't believe that compressor price, having paid 280 quid for an 8cfm from Clarke machine tools 20 years ago (still using it). Laid me low for months but even then was relatively cheap. God help me if the Chinese start demanding decent wages :(

It looks the same as the one I have which cost £69. It looks like there is inflation happening in Lidl and Aldi.
dennis@home wrote:

I got a £69 one too! All these imported tools have costs heavily linked to the dollar and with the weak pound they are inevitably going to be dearer.
The specs are very optimistically quoted. I suspect the 2.5hp is the equivalent electrical power input and the 1500 watts is the motor output (2hp). The flow rate of 9cuft/minute must be at atmospheric pressure. It is a good little compressor for small air tools and light useage. Very good for a blow gun and pumping up the tyres and other hobby use. I would not expect it to keep up with car type paint spraying although Ok for applying laquer/stain to modest woodworking projects. Finally it is very very noisy and runs hot if worked hard.
You only get what you pay for!
Bob
Bob Minchin wrote:

This one is distributed/supported by
http://www.omegawolf.com/index.html

Same company (Omega Wolf) based in Nottinghamshire but for their Wolf branded products; http://www.wolf.tv / Seems that the Power Craft range of tools at Aldi are serviced etc at Omega Wolf as their address is on every box, and look identical to Wolf products (re-badged??). Therefore, the compressor at Aldi is identical to the Wolf one, apart from the colour etc: http://www.wolf.tv/product.asp?id 3454 AND is made in the UK. So I wonder if the Power Craft on is also made in the UK. Their service/parts and ordering are all from Notts. Good thing about Wolf is that most of their products appear to be MADE IN BRITAIN !!!!! (according to their paper catalogue). Cheers Dave
DAVE wrote:

"The Wolf Sioux II Air Compressor is hand built by our expertly trained engineers here in Great Britain"
Call me an old cynic, but I tend to expect that means they bolt the compressor assembly and wheels to the tank when it gets off the boat from elsewhere.
wrote:> The specs are very optimistically quoted.

Glad to say that I managed to buy one of these compressors today (Sunday). Interesting to see that they were going like hot cakes in the store in Nottm. Also interesting is that they are distributed by Omega/Wolf, who are based only 1/4 mile from where I live !!!! Hope that means they will offer spares/service !!!!!! The quoted figure of 2.5HP is correct but the figure of 1.5kW on the website is wrong. On the compressors box it states that the motor is 1.87kW which would make it 2.5HP, although 1.87kW seems an odd figure. I'll have a close look at the motor plate and check this out. It contains a very good selection of bits and pieces such as a 10m hose and a 5m extension hose. I also bought the air ratchet c/w impact sockets. Will let folk know how it performs.
Wavey Dave
Dave wrote:

Looked like they hadn't sold any in one of the Leicester stores by lunchtime.

The one in Bulwell never seems to sell out particularly quickly if you are slow off the mark.

In Heanor, the Derbyshire mountain rescue team were using a pile of them for a training exercise ;-)

746 watts/hp so that times 2.5 gives 1865.
--
*Time is fun when you're having flies... Kermit

I bought an 11cfm diesel compressor for use on the farm. Again chinese construction and good vfm. However some of the detail of construction pissed me off. The engine was not properly aligned with the compressor hence on first use the belts ran off and I had to spend an afternoon aligning and tensioning correctly. I also needed to add filters, change the quick coupling block from the bizarre chinese fitting that didn't mate with anything that I owned and to fix some minor leaks.
Once done however I did have what I now regard as a decent workhorse. Shame quality control was non-existent.

I hope you have informed your insurers and that it will be inspected at the appropriate intervals:-)
regards
--
Tim Lamb

Insurers?

Inspected ??

Yes. Employers and 3rd party stuff.
My NFU rep. stood looking at my very second hand workshop compressor and said * you do realise this has to be maintained under the requirements of the pressure vessel regulations?*
regards
--
Tim Lamb