Digital vernier caliper @ Aldi on Sunday

FYI

The Medway Handyman

>> £8:99!

The same as the eBay ones from HK by the looks of it. I have a few of them, and they seem quite reasonable.

Reply to
John Rumm

So, how many digital vernier callipers do you need...?!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Reasonable, they are brilliant bits of kit :-)

I got three.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Depends on how many nuts you have to tighten.

Reply to
brass monkey

I'm getting to the age where I either need one with a magnifier or a digital one. :-/

Reply to
John Williamson

Enough so that you have a fighting chance of finding one when you need it!

Reply to
John Rumm

I've had one for a few years and it's been very good.

BUT - the foam liner in the case used to press the On button each time I put it away, flattening the batteries. Of course, I didn't spot this 'cos I was putting it away.

Cut a hole in the foam and all is well.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Bought one the last time they were on offer. Has been very useful when working on the tractor.

Reply to
Steve Firth

In article , Skipweasel writes

Thanks for the tip, mine looked susceptible too when inverted, foam now modded.

Good value item and v handy to have around.

Reply to
fred

I bought mine when they were on an end of line special at Porthmadog for =A33.99. I bought a few.

Reply to
1501

If you're that way inclined, you can play silly buggers with 'em...

think the data format is probably the Sylvac format (q.v. Google)

Reply to
Skipweasel

While I was on Aldi's site, 160W Combi Tool (17th Feb):

it work to engrave cylinder lock keys for people (simple stuff like L and R, IN, OUT, etc) so they can identify individual ones on the same bunch? I see it has a flexible extension shaft. Worth a punt for =A315?

Reply to
Part timer

Possibly further than I intended to go but bookmarked all the same, thanks.

Reply to
fred

Got one several years ago. Much better than vernier for those of advancing years. Good for checking sizes of drills etc, rather than magnifying glass.

Reply to
<me9

Ah, right - like Stanley knives and tape measures, then...?!

David

Reply to
Lobster
8<

You really never want to go back to a proper vernier scale after you have used a digital one. Analogue ones are not easy to read with good eyesight

Reply to
dennis

>> £8:99! Just a heads up on this offer.

This particular model does not have the integrated socket for connection to a remote display, however under the cover, the standard 4 connection pads are on the circuit board and with careful soldering, the connections can be brought out.

More general info on what you can do with these things can be found by googling "YADRO" (Yet Another Digital Read-Out) However it seems that the author has gone to ground for a bit so not much chance of buying anything from his website!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

yup, and woodworking pencils...

(it is also sometimes handy for my practice of one "tool box per job". So its handy to have one in the electrical tool box for measuring cable conductor sizes accurately, and it saves fishing it out and forgetting to return it later when other uses spring to mind)

Reply to
John Rumm

I thought I was the uncrowned king of loosing pencils :-)

I also adopt the one tool box per job, so each has a tape, a Stanley knife etc. Only way I can keep organized.

I may be a bit OCD, but all my power tool cables are colour coded as well :-)

Jigsaw has a bit of blue tape each end of the cable, circ saw has red etc - that way you can see what you are unplugging...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman