Aldi multi-tool

Aldi have a cordless multi-tool for 40 quid this Thursday. Three year guarantee too.
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_25084.htm?WT.mc_id 12-06-11-10-37
--
* I like you. You remind me of when I was young and stupid

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_25084.htm?WT.mc_id 12-06-11-10-37
Decided to buy one. Looks well made and I'd say amazing value.
--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional *

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_25084.htm?WT.mc_id 12-06-11-10-37

I couldn't quite work out what it was from the picture.
It mentions a fast rate of rotation and a diamond blade but is the blade oscillatory or rotating?
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Same as all multi-tools - it oscillates. If it rotated, it would simply be a version of a circular saw. An oscillating blade makes it much safer to use - as there's no tendency to grab or kickback.
--
*Strip mining prevents forest fires.

Ah. Thanks. When I see multitool I tend to think of a glofied fat Swiss Army knife crossed with a pair of pliers with the added obscure device for getting boy scouts out of horses hooves etc.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Yes - it's not a particularly apt name. Things like drills can do more than one task too, by changing what you fit to them, so no different in principle.
--
*With her marriage she got a new name and a dress.*

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_25084.htm?WT.mc_id 12-06-11-10-37

Seems very good to me - made short work of some window frames I'm working on. Also useful on silicone removal from the little go I've had - and my new house seems to be built of the stuff. I'd made my mind up on the Bosch equivalent, but had not quite got round to it. Glad I hadn't - third of the price and I can't see what's not to like, yet.
Managed to take 100-odd of my money all in - biscuit jointer (impressive, but wobbly/erratic height guide so care needed), saws (3 for 7, excellent), clamps, brushes, mastics, silicone scrapers, paint, DAB radio (OK, 16, bit tinny).
Rob
Well I've just bought one of these Aldi tools and on attaching the blade to have a go with it I tightened the allen key fitting and the main shaft rotated and now the thing doesn't work. I don't know if this is one-off but I'm taking it back and not sure if I want a replacement.
On Monday, 11 June 2012 18:11:11 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Quick update. The ALDIs that still have stock have reduced them to 34.
Also there are some surprisingly effective gizmos for resealing bags this week that go by the name of AnyLock (www.anylock.co.uk). No connection with them just impressed by what is a simple but effective (perhaps too fragile) design. (ALDI have them for about the same as the online postage charge)
Regards, Martin Brown