Digital vernier caliper @ Aldi on Sunday

Be aware that many of these cheap(er) calipers don't fully turn on when you press 'Off' but merely turn the screen off. Thus the battery can still flatten despite not being used.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

I do even more than that - Brother labelmaker tags at each end...

Reply to
S Viemeister

Power tools have captive leads so why do you need to have a label on your jigsaw saying "jigsaw"? On the plug I can understand but the kit?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

BUT! ones that do fully turn off lose the reading or zero point.

Depend how much you use it as to whether this is acceptable.

Batteries are dirt cheap if you know where to buy 'em

Recently I bought a digital protractor (£20 Chinese) which has a dual function off button. A short press retains the reading and kills the display for reduced power consumption or a long press turns it off fully and loses the reading as well.

Best of both worlds.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D\

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D/

...and your glasses ? I've three sets of three from Costco in various places and I still am hunting for them! Rob

Reply to
robgraham

To look at the tool check the colour code and then disconnect the plug for it. I wish I had thought about the idea. So simple.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

The combi tool is great but the tools are s**te. All the grindy bits seem to be stuck on with one of those heat gun glue.

Buy the tool and then go look at the Dremel tool you need, and of course get a mortgage to buy it.

Reply to
Ericp

Skipweasel wrote in news:MPG.27c0e15b14de1dbd98989b@85.214.73.210:

D'oh! Now I know why ...

... never thought of that.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Perhaps your mind is to highly tuned.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Skipweasel wrote in news:MPG.27c35111a8dbe4669898cf@85.214.73.210:

Only to a thou or two (if one is still permited under EU dierctives to say "thou") ...

... seriously I paid peanuts for it so I never gave battery use much thought - just thought that at that price it was crappy with batteries and it still appeared a bargin so no worries.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

> £8:99!

Ta muchly, Always wanted one of these and now have one.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

I now have another one.

Reply to
Steve Firth

>>> £8:99!

Yup - got one yesterday, plus the file/rasp set and a few other things.

Roll on Thursday...

Reply to
PeterC

I mark the plug top using yellow paint marker pen with the first letter of the tool - ie. J = Jigsaw, O = Orbital Sander etc

No labels to fall off and the markings have lasted for many years.

Reply to
The Other Mike

I've often wondered why moulded on plugs aren't white with a matt finish bit to scrawl on.

Reply to
Skipweasel

I should be on commission :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks for your info. I might get one if I have the time on Thursday.

Reply to
Part timer

I might just get one and the tool set - if the glue gives way, well, this is DIY. Also the camera, as it's about the cheapest I've seen and would be useful for posting pics. I do have a camera that I was given, but the battery goes flat quite quickly and it's too much hassle to recharge just for one shot. The Aldi one runs from AAs, so rechargeable LSD cells should be OK (I hope!).

Reply to
PeterC

Update: bought the rotary tool but not the extra attachments. Haven't used it in anger yet, just powered it on to check it works.

Reply to
Part timer

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Part timer saying something like:

Don't worry; you'll find all sorts of things to do with it once it becomes lodged in your mental toolchest.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon