Advice on Phones

I currently have a simple phone on EE (Samsung folding)
There are times when I would like to be able to text easily (currently choose one letter from 3) and look on internet
I have talked to EE and suggestions are Huawei P8lite
LGK8
Samsung J8 (2018)
I am currently using PAYG and intend to continue- the handset will be a birthday present so contract is a no-brainer as I only top up by less than £50 yearly
Does anyone have any experiance of these 3 handsets (I am aware that the earlier versions of the Smsung are short of memory
VMT
Malcolm
https://www.avg.com
On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 5:12:11 PM UTC+1, Malcolm Race wrote:

Consider MotoG4. £100 brand new. Very pleased
In article <cca94ccc-ae91-4b0f-86d5-
says...

My phone is a Moto G3 which cost me about £80, new,a year ago.
It wasn't locked (from new) and I use it on 3.
I doubt I top up much more that £10 a year - I don't make many calls and usually only use data when I'm connectec to a free WiFi service.
--

Terry

On 09/06/2018 21:48, Terry Casey wrote:

+1 for Motorola (or whoever they are now), I have had a G4 and G5 and I bought someone a Moto E. Excellent value.
I do actually have SIM only contracts, currently one of the cheapest GiffGaff ones, but last time I looked someone else (Tesco?) gave slightly more data for the same price.
On 10/06/2018 14:51, newshound wrote:

Plusnet are much better value than both. Go via uswitch, and their deals are even better.
On 11/06/2018 11:34, JoeJoe wrote:

You're right, especially if they are your ISP (as in my case). It's only slight inertia that has kept me from changing (having just done gas and electricity), but it is a good prompt. Thanks for the pointer to Uswitch.
On 09/06/2018 17:59, stuart noble wrote:

I bought a Xiaomi Redmi 4x for about £90, imported from China. About the same spec, and a fair bit snappier, than my 'main' iPhone 6. Toy camera and labyrinthine interface compared to the iPhone, but double the battery life, a bigger bright screen and waterproof. For the price, no complaints.
I use a SIM that comes as part of a Talktalk internet bundle.
--
Cheers, Rob

writes

I changed from a folding phone some time ago, my wife still uses one.
Mine is an Aldi Medion remainder bin (under ?50) one. It has been back to Lenovo, (who make it) 3 times, so I also have a very cheap Chinese spare. The Medion is 4g, the cheap one 3g, but I don't notice many differences.
I carry the phone in my pocket and keep finding that it has gone off into the woods running some stupid program that I didn't know was there. I need to find some sort of non-intrusive case. A previous phone with an attached leather fold over case was useless as it pressed on the side buttons when I was active.
I don't want to wander round like a zombie holding my phone at all times.
In many ways I miss the folding phone, but I regularly have to use my phone to show my wife the latest pics the family have sent.
--
Bill

On 09/06/2018 17:12, Malcolm Race wrote:

If you are simply after a phone that will take/make calls, send/receive SMS, and has a "keyboard", then just buy the cheapest smartphone that you can find. They will all do what you are after (and a lot more), for a fraction of the prices that you were quoted by EE.
I would personally go for one of the earlier Moto G's - plenty of refurbished ones on eBay.

As 'smartphones' go the Moto G is pretty good, the Moto E isn't that bad either.
However (like the OP) I wish I could buy a phone which was good at making phone calls, sending/receiving SMS and not much else but there's no such thing now.
--
Chris Green
·

On 09/06/2018 20:02, Chris Green wrote:

What quoted prices?

There's the Alcatel U5 3G for around £70 which works OK with some limitations (camera no autofocus; limited built-in memory).
--
Max Demian

On 09/06/2018 20:59, Max Demian wrote:

Interested to see this discussion - I'm looking to upgrade from a Huawei Y330 - which seems to have a fairly unresponsive/inaccurate touch-screen, and is refusing to allow me to download apps - even though it's got a large, empty sd-card plugged in...
I don;t use the mobile that often, but it'd be handy to be able to take half-decent photos (the Huawei complains that it's got no room to store them), and I'd like to be able to run some apps like VNC Terminal, to monitor the Raspberry Pi that looks after my glass kiln.
Prices on smartphones seem to vary widely - up to what I'd call 'silly money'. Somebody on a web-based forum recommended the Archos range - which includes a number of phones sub-100-euro - some of which seem to have quite decent specs.
Any other suggestions gratefully received. I don't need a 'selfie' camera (shudder!), or any other bells & whistles - just something that has a decent touch-screen, one reasonable camera, and more than the 4gig of internal memory that the Huawei has - or the willingness to actually use the 32gb SD-card!
Thanks Adrian

Because the apps don’t reside on that

Because you havent moved the ones already there to the SD card.

Yes, but that because the amount of memory and quality of the cameras does too.

For someone who wants to use their phone like you do, sure.

Not with the amount of memory they don’t at those prices.

They all do, tho it can be pretty poor with the worst of them.

No androids do as far as letting you have the apps there, for a reason.
On 09/06/2018 21:48, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

On some (all?) phones the apps download to internal memory and then you have to manually tell the phone to move app in turn to the memory card. Some of the apps (perhaps the manufactured installed apps) may be locked to the phone's internal memory.

Again, the destination for phone's photos has to be configured for sd card. The phone will default to saving them on the internal memory.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

Most android versions don’t let you run the apps from the memory card, particularly the later ones.

On 10/06/2018 07:21, Rod Speed wrote:

On every version of Andriod I've used many apps can be moved to the sd card freeing up internal storage.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 10/06/2018 07:50, alan_m wrote:

AIUI that's true if the phone's rooted but not a safe assumption if the phone is left as shipped because some phones won't allow _any_ apps at all to be moved or installed to an external card (even when formatted as internal storage).
--
Robin
On 10/06/2018 08:10, Robin wrote:

And some that are supposed to according to their online instructions won't always permit you to configure the larger cards to accept apps.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 10/06/2018 07:50, alan_m wrote:

It seems to be very dependant on the app and what the manufacturers have done to the stock android.
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/move-android-apps-to-sd-card,news-21279.html
--
Chris B (News)

And the version of the android OS too.