Subject Author Posted Replies

Pipe clips.
If I ever find a plumber... the plan is to use surface mountings for the boiler flow and return pipes. Pipe insulation sleeves look to be 19mm thick. Plastic pipe clips appear too short for this to...
4
4

R. Cott. 16
Anyone any experience of dry screed overlay boards? Claim to have 4 times lower thermal resistance than equivalent chipboard and look easy to lay (just glue the joints). Price looks a bit steep at...
14
14

OT: backing up PC data
I've been using Squirrelsave for several years, but have just had an email sayng that they are stopping the service. Has anyone any recommendations for backup services?
25
25

Idiot Proof Free Backup Software for Vista 32bit?
This is an odd one and I don't have any good answers. I am looking for idiot proof backup software preferably free that will run on ancient 32 bit Vista. Initial configuration is fine but once set up...
30
30

USB plug ID
Maginon SZ 24 camera and I would seem to have lost or mislaid the USB charger lead. The same socket serves for an A/V connection and that I have. It is like an horizontally flattened D and probably 4x...
8
8

Fusion Power won't work.
Kicked into the long grass. We will have to wait until the second half of the century for fusion reactors to start generating electricity, experts have announced.
18
18

What is best drainage for garden?
i have very sloped garden and have installed underground pipe drainage to ease flood at the bottom, however after recent rain it doesnt seem to have worked! any ideas?
7
7

Problems fitting a rain diverter for a water butt
I need to fit a diverter onto a rainwater pipe so that it will fill a water butt. The attached photos show the diverter and the pipes which I am worki ng with, the left hand pipe is the one I need to...
7
7

External wall - breeze blocks
Our neighbour has an "extension" which we can see the side of, which appears to have an external single wall of breeze blocks. You can tell it's breeze blocks, as the rendering on the outside has a...
9
9

Exterior masonry filler.
What's the best masonry filler these days? For the sort of moulded stonework you get on Victorian buildings? To be painted over. Did like the old exterior Pollyfilla which was really just a fine...
31
31

Plumbing question (stopcock and plastic water main)
The stopcock is seized in the "new" house and has resisted all attempts to free it, so replacement with a quarter turn ball valve is high on the job list. The water main is black plastic (O/D is 1" so...
3
3

OT Polish bloke in Doncaster asks how to be more English
Well he could sign on the dole, claim housing benefit and then sit on the setee watching the Jeremy Kyle show (or whatever shit they broadcast these days) whilst complaining about foreigners taking...

Slim (very slim?) rocker switches
I need some rocker switches that I can mount in thin[nish] panels sucj that they don't stick out of the back of the panel. So I need switches with a maximum depth of 1/2" or so. Much of the problem...
9
9

OT Washing Machines
Private Eye once called her a "pillock". They were quite correct. TV presenter Kirstie Allsopp has provoked a debate on social media for saying washing machines should not be kept in the kitchen
41
41

Mechanical timers for electric power?
I'm looking for the sort of thing I have on a worktop oven, knob which you rotate to turn the power on and it winds down on clockwork, giving you a maximum of 1 hour power. Ideally capable of...
24
24