Idiot Proof Free Backup Software for Vista 32bit?

This is an odd one and I don't have any good answers.
I am looking for idiot proof backup software preferably free that will run on ancient 32 bit Vista. Initial configuration is fine but once set up and installed it needs to do a full backup (or incremental one if possible) on a more or less obvious single button click.
Ordinarily I would go for Paragon Backup & Revovery Free but there only seems to be a download option for 64 bit versions these days :(
Any suggestions for something that would do. This has to be usable by extreme technophobes who have a very limited understanding of computers so I need to be able to configure it as a single button press to backup.
There is no scope for changing OS from Vista or any of their prehistoric software. Until I got involved it was never backed up (scary)!
(cross posted to demon.service since a few wizards still hang out there)
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 13/07/2017 09:25, Martin Brown wrote:

I use an xcopy batch file, triggered each day by "Create Synchronicity" (free) http://synchronicity.sourceforge.net/
has the advantage that you can mirror, zip or increntally update your backups exactly as you wish via a windows batch file. Will work across all Window platforms.

Isn't is simpler just to use the xcopy batch file?
--
Jack

Martin Brown wrote:

I use Backup maker version 7 on my XP system and there has been no hint of it not wanting to work with my OS. I don't know if it will play nicely with vista but worth a try. I set it to do incremental back ups each night and a full one every three days and the back up server itself delete files more than a few weeks old and empties the bin.
This page https://www.lifewire.com/free-backup-software-tools-2617964 says that it will work with Vista.
I wonder if it will work with a screenreader. I have a similar issue here but also just tto complicate things a couple of 64 bit windows 7 machines, one on a remote site with less than computer literate users.
Brian
--
----- -
On 13/07/2017 15:59, Brian Gaff wrote:

On Win7 64bit I like Paragon Backup & Recovery Free but I have no idea how well it works with a screen reader.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 13/07/17 09:25, Martin Brown wrote:

https://acrosync.com/windows.html

Bvckyp. https://www.bvckup2.com/
So good I actually paid for it. Simple, reliable, lightning quick, great support.

You set up the backup jobs for them in advance.
They click backup job, press Go, done. Or it can be scheduled to run at whatever intervals you want.

ooh. </wavylines>
I remember all the whinging about the news server, KA9Q, nntp kick, and Giles snacking on babies.
--
(\_/)

[On return from a couple of weeks away] Strongly agree (except that it's Bvckup, not Bvckyp. The URL is correct.). It is totally trustworthy, faultless, and - which is crucial - it is easy to restore one or more files from the backup.
--
Molly Mockford
Nature loves variety. Unfortunately, society hates it. (Milton Diamond Ph.D.)

a typo, something the somewhat less than perfect of us do from time to time.
--
(\_/)
On 13/07/2017 09:25, Martin Brown wrote:

Might be worth trying Synkron - cross platform and open source:
http://synkron.sourceforge.net/
(not tried it under vista, but probably ok)
--
Cheers,

John.

Whatever backup program you go for, IMHO it needs to make an exact file-for-file, folder-for-folder copy of the C: folders onto the backup drive. That way you can easily navigate a folder structure on the backup which is an exact replica of the one on the C drive, as you locate any file which you need to copy back to the C drive if the C copy has got trashed.
I use MS SyncToy for my backups because it makes file/folder copies. This is in contrast to many backup programs which add everything to one big proprietary-format backup file on the backup drive, which requires the corresponding program to be used to extract a file that has to be restored. If that backup file gets corrupted in any way, you may have lost all your backup, whereas corruption of a few files on the backup leaves everything else intactl
It's the same reason why I prefer Windows Mail (Vista) or Windows Live Mail (Win 7, 8, 10) to MS Outlook, because WM and WLM use a separate file for each email whereas Outlook mushes everything into a single PST file; firstly the whole file has to be backed up every time, secondly corruption may result in loss of all emails.
SyncToy requires a little bit of configuring to begin with (defining each of the folder-pairs to be backed up) and then it is a two click operation (one click to start program, another to say "Run", because it remembers that last time you did "All Folders" and defaults to the same this time. If you want the added security of seeing what it is about to delete or overwrite on the backup, it's an extra click on Preview, followed by Run, as before.
It might not do any harm to image the drive using gnu ddrescue so that there is a way forward when the inevitable happens and the original installation discs are long lost.
John
On 13/07/17 09:25, Martin Brown wrote:

If just protecting 'my documents', then perhaps redirect that to a dropbox folder? Then backup and tracking step version changes should be automatic.
--
Adrian C

"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message

dsynchronize is versatile and good for this sort of thing. http://dimio.altervista.org/eng/
On 13/07/2017 22:44, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

I forgot to mention another significant constraint.
They are on a dreadful slow ADSL intermittent internet connection any kind of online backup is out of the question. Downloading software of any size is unreliable on site I have to download it at home and their upload speed is risible.
My solution for them is colour coded 64GB memory sticks for a grandfather, father, son backup regime which I think they can follow.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 14/07/2017 08:49, Martin Brown wrote:

That's a very fair point. The whole world assumes we all have fast unlimited internet and pushes us to do more and more online.
When I "escaped" from Demon and got a very fast FTTC connection it allowed me to completely change my approach to backup and all sort of other things.
I still have local backup as well, using an oldish NAS with 2 discs configured RAID something so they mirror and give me 2x 1Tb. Complete image backup manually from time to time, data files from specified folders hourly automatically. All set up in Windows but maybe Vista won't do it natively (I dodged the joys of Vista).
Assuming they have a router, would an always on NAS plugged in to router ethernet port give you the hardware answer?

Not a bad idea. You could call the backup jobs "red stick", "blue stick", "yellow stick"
The things to remember about backup are:
1. if it becomes a nuisance or more than a trivial chore, it just won't get done
2. backup is only half the story. No backup is a backup until the ability to restore data has been proven.
--
(\_/)

(-:

)-: true. I don't do it often enough myself.

Hence my question some posts back: is it just data you're worrying about, or the ability to restore a hosed system (hosed either through hardware failure [disc drive being the commonest I think], or - as seems more likely here - user action)? Though it seems from subsequent discussion, though the OP hasn't actually said, that either it's only data, or that that's the best he's going to get from those involved (making a Macrium image or similar being beyond them).

No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.
On 15/07/2017 09:02, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

Mainly the data. TBH I think the whole machine is on it's last legs which is why I have already imaged all the valuable data I could see.
But I'll be happier once I have imaged the whole disk once to grab everything. I failed last time because downloading software there was so hopelessly unreliable due to poor internet service.
I can't imagine finding a modern machine that the disk image could be restored onto or being able to find Vista video drivers for new hardware. They will be forced kicking and screaming to upgrade to Win10 when it expires. BTW Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
It has clarified a few points and made me think a lot harder about exactly what they need, some solutions I hadn't considered and how to make it easy for it to get done reliably. That may be the hardest part.
Wish me luck I am off there today!
--
Regards,
Martin Brown