How much does software for drawing a plot plan cost »

These days it seems you can get free (as in free beer) software for just about anything, really. Drawing diagrams is not exception. I've used the free Inkscape software (

) for drawing a plot plan. I have to admit though that the actual drawing came from a land surveyor/engineering company  in the form of a commonly used DWG (AutoCAD) file format which I then imported into Inkscape and made a few edits which were needed for the contractor installing my fence. All the easements and the corners were already marked up and drawn to scale, so there wasn't really all that much to do - you can easily draw an outline of a house and even some schematic trees and a fence for as long as the shape and size of the property is knows exactly, and that's where the land surveyors came in.

I ended up hiring the same engineering company that designed the development I live in and for $150 they came out, re-marked the corners of the property and supplied me with a printout and the DWG file of the property. In other words, there is no good reason to pay for software to draw it, it's available for free. However, you probably still need a professional with the specialized equipment to take accurate measurements for the drawing. In my case, I'm sure they didn't need to draw the property from scratch and just cut out my little part of the complete development plan from the construction documentation. Perhaps you can find some of the pre-existing drawings of your property, too. Otherwise an engineering company will be well equipped to both measure the property and create a CAD drawing which you then should be able to import into a number of free programs, such as Inkscape I mentioned, to make any additions and alterations you need for the project at hand.

Reply to
homeowners

Had a fire in the garage (detached) roof and sill need to be replaced. Need a plot plan showing house, driveway, trees, distance from corner of garage to corner of lot, easements, utility lines and this sort of stuff. How much does software cost that will create a plot plan. Or cost hire someone to create a plot plan.

Reply to
Ed