What is best drainage for garden?

i have very sloped garden and have installed underground pipe drainage to ease flood at the bottom, however after recent rain it doesnt seem to have worked! any ideas?

Reply to
mostyn harvey

Where does your drainage discharge?

What type of soil have you?

Is the source rainfall directly on your garden, is it running off from elsewhere or is it ground water?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Have you taken into account the fact that drains need to be up slope from the area that you want to keep dry? The idea is to divert the water that would otherwise flow down the slope, rather than try to remove it from the area that floods.

Reply to
Nightjar

we need a diagram

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I was just going to say that! The basic rule of farming is that you run your drainage ditch around the *top* of your field, not at the bottom. Speaking not as a farmer, but as an originally poor city kid who eventually had enough money to keep a few horses.

Reply to
newshound

the problem is also what is the soil like. If its heavy clay then it is going to be a big water store. You would need to dig it all out and make it better drained for this to work. Its a bit like flood plains, they store water and release it slowly.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Work with it, not against it: make a pond or a bog garden.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Not only a big water store. We found land drains (100 mm perforated corrugated pipe filled with shingle) in a previous garden. They didn't seem to do much, and when dug up as part of a garden redesign were found to be choked with fine clay particles. I doubt that any water actually passed through them.

Reply to
Jeff Layman