Subject Author Posted Replies

How to secure an outside tap
Hi All, A few years ago we had some alterations by “Bodge-it & Scarper”… One of the things they did was to fit an outside tap (and then box in internal pipework and tile over the boxing in, so I...
5
5

Repurposing Lithium Ion 18650
I have a 5Ah power pack from a ferrex drill/impactdriver/anglegrinder that failed after very few charges but about 15 months old. The charger refused to charge it. One of the 18650 cells is dud but...
9
9

Recalcitrant jar lids
Faced yet again with a jar of pickled gherkins whose lid would not come off, and the friend who opened them last time for me not due to visit for weeks, I bunged the lot into the bottom oven of the...
35
35

Torch battery terminal corrosion - vinegar or baking soda?
I have a bike light which has intermittent contact which seems to be due to mild corrosion on one terminal. An on line search suggests (some sites) vinegar or (other sites) baking soda. I am a bit...
7
7

Monitor question
I am looking at buying a new monitor. The one I like is 75Hz but as far as I can see my graphics adapter only runs at 60Hz (Intel UHD Graphics 730). Can I assume any monitor will run at 60Hz? Am I...
23
23

Series Drill
Walking down my street this morning I passed a Telephone "Engineer" drilling a hole for a cable through a stone wall. So far so good. He was just starting the hole and was using a series drill which I...
11
11

Spooky DII (yes DII)
I moved into this bungalow about 18 months ago, it's 40 years old, seems well constructed and is a bit of a time capsule - Avocado bath, Artex ceilings. Shortly after I moved in the centre lights in...
31
31

Engine burning plastic smell
Forcing wood through my table saw there was a smell of burning plastic and then it stopped. So maybe insulation on wires has melted. Is this mendable, how easy might it bit, or is it for the scrap...
8
8

Volt sticks
My trusty "Faithful" volt stick has died* after many years. There are a large number of devices available but I assume (always dangerous) that they all use a field-effect transistor on the input so...
11
11

Low Heat setting on Zanussi Tumble Dryer
Looking at a Zanussi TC482W Condensor Tumble Dryer The timer controller has a Hot section and a Cool or low heat section. The cool or low heat setting has suddenly become too hot ! As the spares list...
5
5

Window fitting
I am replacing all the windows in the house I’ve just bought. We need scaffolding to take the windows out as they’re installed from the outside. A window company has quoted us £2000 for the...

Well - OT - delivery driver routing in Carnival season
Prompted by me expecting a delivery from Amazon and the local carnival procession blocking up access for a couple of hours. Does delivery planning software keep track of all temporary and permanent...
1
1

Drayton MA1 Mid-Position Actuator (CH/HW motorised valve)
I know nothing about central heating systems or their associated controls but I noticed that the boiler wasn't heating the water and so we've had to revert to the immersion heater to get hot water....
9
9

Peugeot 207 - how to lock the doors
Hi, Following on from a question I raised a while back regarding my daughter's 207 that has a driver side door lock issue, if I remove the central locking fuse, the front doors are able to be locked...
3
3

Phishing? E-mail from NS&I questioning my contact details
Curious about an e-mail from NS&I questioning my contact details. Looks authentic but when I logged in normally all my details are correct. The only recent event is a temporary number on my mobile...
39
39