Engine burning plastic smell

Forcing wood through my table saw there was a smell of burning plastic and then it stopped. So maybe insulation on wires has melted. Is this mendable, how easy might it bit, or is it for the scrap yard? (also has happened on other drills etc)

george

Reply to
George Miles (dicegeorge

So maybe insulation on wires has melted. Is this mendable, how easy might it BE, or is it for the scrap yard?

Reply to
George Miles (dicegeorge

You would need to take it apart to find out. It could be the motor windings (generally terminal) but it could be some other component which is replaceable. If there are motor brushes then they're another source of problems, or maybe there is a speed controller.

Take it apart and look for evidence of damage - scorches, melted things, etc.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

There might be a cut-out that you can reset but the word "forcing" suggests overloading the motor because of a blunt (or inappropriate) blade. Unless it's a decent "brand" saw table a cooked motor is probably terminal. You need to dismantle and investigate.

Reply to
nothanks

This sounds nasty, do you know if it uses nylon gears anywhere?. Those are notorious for losing teeth and melting down. However if this is an electric powered device I'd have thought some loss of power would have occurred before it stopped, but it could of course have a thermal fuse that might be repairable, but I'd not think it was long for the world considering the smell. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Forcing would reduce RPM and increase current draw. If it still runs, you got away with it, if you didnt and it stopped and wont go, its scrap. No one rebuilds electric motors any more except 'wonder girl in china'

The Natural Philosopher

There's half a dozen rewind firms locally, but I doubt a small motor is worth bothering with ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

No, its not. You can get motors like that for not a lot.

Typically £100 will buy you a new motor, and that's probably cheaper than the labour to take one apart and rebuild it, in this country

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's about double the cost of a rewind.

Reply to
Animal