Circular Saw Burning/Smoking Problem

Hello all,

As an intermediate DIY'r, I am surprised to be having trouble with my new circular saw. I am attempting to cut through 1'' stair noses, but my brand new Skill 7 1/4'' saw can barely cut through the wood and smokes excessivly. I finally used a jig saw to finish the

cut and noticed that the wood was black from burning.

Any thoughts? I've never experienced this with my 18v Ryobi cordless saw, and I use it pretty hard. This saw even smoked while cutting a

1'' bamboo stair tread, which the Ryobi cut effortlessly.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Reply to
jmyszka

Is the blade on backwards?

Reply to
Click Fraud

I'm pretty sure that it is not. The arrows on the blade are going the same direction as the arrow on the saw, thus the teeth are pointed upwards at the front of the saw (if that makes any sense). Anything else that could cause this? Otherwise, its back to the home depot and pray they return it.

Click Fraud wrote:

Reply to
jmyszka

Smoking in saws is bad. See if you can get it to cut out smoking, or at least switch to filters.

Reply to
mm

Joe,

Have you tried using the same blade with your cordless? Is the blade sharp and correct for the work? Why do you think this is a saw problem rather than a blade problem?

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

Dave,

I can't use the same blade as the cordless is a 5.5'' and the skil corded is a 7.25''. I'm inclined to think that this possibly a saw problem because the blade is new and I am fairly confident it is installed properly. I don't know what else to think, I'm quite surprised to be having this substantial of a problem on such a mild job.

jm

David Martel wrote:

Reply to
jmyszka

Noticing that you have already replied that the blade appears to be on correctly I must ask if you are using the blade that came with the saw?

The usually aren't worth the time it takes to install them. Buy a carbide blade of the proper size and see how that cuts.

Reply to
Colbyt

I would guess it is the blade. If you are doing a free cut, then there is nothing to bind like if your rip fence is misaligned on a table saw. Get a good general purpose carbide blade and try again.

Reply to
Jeff

You either have the blade on backwards, or a very dull blade. Hit any nails recently?

Bob

Reply to
Bob

They should take it back if it was a recent purchase. Take a piece of burnt wood along. Check to see if the blade [left to right or right to left] is square to the foot and does not wobble excessively.

Steve

Reply to
Steven L Umbach

Buy a new sawblade, and put the new sawblade on.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

OK, so get a sawblade with a nicotine patch. Seriously. Replace the blade.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Ha! you just ran into another problem,which is the front and which is the back of the saw. If you think you are driving a car and not feeding wood into a machine, and lots maybe most woodworkers do, then you stand and feed wood in and the side that the cut wood emerges at is the front.

However, if you think you are feeding wood into a machine, the side nearest you is the front of the machine (saw).

To answer you question, though, when you feed the wood in, the contact with the blade should have saw teeth going down into the saw. Or another way to look at is the gullets are moving toward you.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I got a small electric chain saw at a yard sale, and it would barely cut. I was trying to figure out how to sharpen it, when I gradually realized the chain was on backwards.

In a circular saw the points and openings of the teeth should point up in front. Because the blade turns clockwise when viewed from the left.

Reply to
mm

Oops. I didn't see the "Skill saw." Sorry, forget what I said.

Possible causes are a poor blade, saw blade not parallel to the tracking edge of the saw, end play of the bearings.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Reply to
Phil Munro

Reply to
Goedjn

Thanks to everyone for their input. Home Depot was glad to take their saw back, and I picked up a dewalt jigsaw that finished the job easily.

jm

Goedjn wrote:

Reply to
jmyszka

replying to jmyszka, Jack Lindsey wrote: i read where if the fence is not properly lined up will make bad cuts or burning saw blade mis alighnment. use a capenter square, or exact spacer, set screws in top of fence loosen and adjust fence to front and back tighten set screws

Reply to
Jack Lindsey

Unfortunately the OP has passed away, mainly because you waited 11 years to answer his question. He never finished the stairs and one evening he tripped going down and broke his neck. His son inherited the crappy circular saw and is now screwing up projects on his own house.

Reply to
DerbyDad03