How to secure an outside tap

Hi All,

A few years ago we had some alterations by “Bodge-it & Scarper”…

One of the things they did was to fit an outside tap (and then box in internal pipework and tile over the boxing in, so I don’t want to take all that apart…

The trouble is, they used plastic pipe / push fittings and the tap is on the end of the pipe (the last foot or so MAY be copper) but isn’t fixed to the outside wall. It is free to rotate, and I fear if it were pulled, the pipe would pull out of the tee or straight connector inside.

So, Any suggestions as to how to secure it?

(There is a female “iron / brass bit behind the tap that the back of the tap screws onto, but it doesnt stick out enough to get hold of).

Reply to
Chris Holmes

Saddle clip (with an extension to hold longer screws) around the tap body and screwed to the wall? That way you should still be able to turn the tap to whatever flow you require.

A photo of the tap at present would be useful (upload to an image-sharing website, and give link here).

Reply to
Jeff Layman

If you mean that the tap is fixed to the wall but the pipe isn't: just fit pipe clips to the pipe, with packers if needed. Another alternative would be to box-in the pipe (an opportunity to wrap it in insulation). If the tap isn't fixed to the wall you need to replace it with one that is - sounds like you might need a plumber for that job.

Reply to
nothanks

They seem to have omitted either one of these:

Alternatively, one of these which can be obtained in several different versions regards pipe size solder or compression connection and even push fit for plastic pipe.

You need to link to a photo for the best advice.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Sorry forgot to add link

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Or dropbox and send the link. However. I saw it done with a replacement tap and a block of some kind. This block was fastened to the wall and the tap itself had a kind of back flange that hat three screw holes to screw it to the block. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff