Outside tap

Hi,

What are the current building regulations relating to the fitting of an outside tap?

Cheers, W

Not sure about building regs as such, but your water company will require you to feed it via a double check valve to make sure that nothing nasty can get sucked back into the mains supply.

Reply to
Set Square

Thanks. Is there any requirements for some kind of isolation valve to prevent freezing in winter?

TIA, W

Don't know of any such requirement - but it is good practice. Put an in-line tap inside the house, and a drain c*ck at the lowest point of the pipework.

Reply to
Set Square

It's always practical to put some kind of stopcock and draincock inside the house where it should be warmer in the winter than outside. Putting these in the system will allow the tap to be completely isolated in freezing conditions and you don't have to go outside to do it. If you are planning to have a long run of pipework outside the house, remember to wrap lagging tape or insulation tube over all the exposed parts to help prevent any freezing if you intend to use the tap occasionally during the winter months.

But an internal stopcock, and drainage point after it, is always best practice.

Reply to
BigWallop

Thanks for the info.

Cheers.

When I plumbed in our tap recently I put in the dbl check valve and a full bore ball valve for isolation but didnt put a drainage point in (dont know why really). So is the best practice in this case to close the ball valve and leave the tap open to leave room for any expansion (there are only a couple of inches of pipe outside so I doubt much of it would be liable to freeze anyway).

cheers

Dave.

It's not hugely important to have a drainage point on very short runs, say directly through the wall to the tap. But in the case of any pipework that may be exposed to the freezing weather, then it's a good idea to wrap or cover the tap with non-absorbent material to keep some of the heat in and, of course, the cold out.

Reply to
BigWallop

Thanks for the help.