Phishing? E-mail from NS&I questioning my contact details

Curious about an e-mail from NS&I questioning my contact details. Looks authentic but when I logged in normally all my details are correct. The only recent event is a temporary number on my mobile while O2/ Vfone organised the transfer.

The other unrelated event is a call back from emergency services (pocket dialling) where they wished me to confirm my address details! Clearly they would have my mobile phone number but how is that linked to my residential address?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Am 21/07/2023 um 08:51 schrieb Tim Lamb:

Check the sending SMTP server IP address in the headers (the one with "received : from ").

Reply to
Ottavio Caruso

In message <u9dkc8$36kct$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Ottavio Caruso snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes

Hmm. snipped-for-privacy@emailnsandi.com looks correct.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Hardly. That domain doesn't even exist.

$ whois emailnsandi.com No match for domain "EMAILNSANDI.COM".

$ dig -t ns emailnsandi.com

;; Got answer: ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 28478

(NXDOMAIN is Non eXistent DOMAIN)

Reply to
Alan J. Wylie

All communications I have had from NS&I customer servies come from snipped-for-privacy@nsandi.com without the word email in it.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Am 21/07/2023 um 10:25 schrieb Tim Lamb:

That's an email address, not an IP address.

Post the full headers here (not the message)

Or even better paste it to pastebin or similar.

Reply to
Ottavio Caruso

If you have to ask then it will be dodgy.

Reply to
mm0fmf

In message <u9dpb9$37gjf$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Ottavio Caruso snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes

Er. You are dealing with the agricultural dept. here.

T'bird *all headers selected* offers this:-

snipped-for-privacy@mta6589.mxmfb.com>

and MXM-v5-MailEngine

None of which means anything to me:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Hence my interest but I do try to be careful who has my mail address.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

We're not talking about the T'Bird headers, but those of the email you got from NS&I. Should be 20-30 lines of text.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Am 21/07/2023 um 13:05 schrieb Tim Lamb:

That can't be right. Headers are usually tens and tens of lines long.

Reply to
Ottavio Caruso

A waste of your time TBH. You can be very careful about who you mail and who therefore has your address. But you cannot make those recipients be careful. So when they get compromised in some way then your mail address, which is in their address books etc. still gets out to bad actors.

Reply to
mm0fmf

In message snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, Tim Streater snipped-for-privacy@streater.me.uk> writes

I'm beginning to regret asking:-)

My mail is collected by Namesco. I read it using Thunderbird.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message <sAAHB6uidoukFw$ snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes

Where you collect from doesn't matter. In Thunderbird, do you have a "More" button amongst the options with your email (e.g. Reply, Forward etc) ? If so, select "View Source" which will show you all the headers.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

In message <u9e0kn$38nfn$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Ottavio Caruso snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes

I can look at the source on the Namesco site and get pages of gobbledegook.

Is that what is requested?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

If you do a lookup with the email bit as a sub domain:

C:\Users\John>nslookup email.nsandi.com Server: dns.google Address: 8.8.8.8

Non-authoritative answer: Name: maxemail.emailcenteruk.com Address: 109.68.64.40 Aliases: email.nsandi.com

Then it does resolve....

It is quite common for companies to create a sub domain for bulk email - saves their main domain getting blacklisted when some muppet clicks "spam" because they can't be bothered to unsubscribe.

Reply to
John Rumm

It may be.

In Thunderbird, with the message selected, open the View tab and click Message Source (or just press Ctrl-u) and you'll see the raw message with all its headers.

Reply to
SteveW

You're looking in the wrong place. The OP should understand how to look for the headers in his mail client.

The SMTP fingerprint is in the "Received from:" header, which the OP is confusing with the "From:" header.

Reply to
Ottavio Caruso

OK John and thanks all interested.

I was slightly twitchy because I didn't get a win this month despite their raised prize rates.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message snipped-for-privacy@ffoil.org.uk>, Adrian snipped-for-privacy@ku.gro.lioff> writes

Ah! *message source* seems to do it. No *more* button found.

John has kindly resolved the issue.

Now, who got my prize money this month?

Reply to
Tim Lamb