Subject Author Posted Replies

Water Hammer query from the other week.
My query over 30m of 20mm water pipe and a solenoid valve with regards to water hammer has been found not to exist. It seems that the solenoid valve I have isn't "direct drive" so it opens and closes...

What to do with a bulge in a door frame
Doing some painting has revealed that some doors fit their frames a bit too tightly. Although many frames are not square etc, who would have thought a few layers of paint could make so much...
14
14

Using old tile adhesive that looks OK?
I'm tiling an area that is more or less the inside of a bathroom cupboard. I don't want it to look much rougher than a bear's arse, but it doesn't have to look great. I bought a box of tiles & a small...
8
8

Bloody useful site for the Engineer/Electrical bods
Some damn useful calculators on this site.... No association just that I found the place useful Calculators Index - Daycounter

OT Wanker
Matthew Lockett from Marple was the first into the Apple store in Manchester's Arndale Centre after queueing since 2pm yesterday
9
9

Buying new consumer unit
Hi all. My house is a bog std 3 bed mid terrace. I currently have a 5 slot wylex box that needs upgrading. Is a '10 way dual rcd' the way to go? Thanks. Arthur
18
18

I read this and thought of Harry and wodders
Internet argument won by making things up | The Daily Mash
7
7

Nilfisk back from the brink of hell
This was a stinker, literally. It's lovely, now. Every time I pass it, I switch it on, just to hear it working. Whoooosh. Nilfisk HDS 2000 after being cleaned out and refurbed a bit. It was an...

Highrises have fires, how safe to exercise in stairwells?
There was a fire in one of the units of my highrise in the past year. One of the tenants said that that there was so much smoke that it was hard to f ind his way through the hallway to the stairwell....
14
14

End feed fittings
Just done a quick assembly (13 joints) in 22mm copper. I found a number of the end feed couplings were a very sloppy fit on the tubing and used a lot of solder. Has anyone else found this?
6
6

Can a laptop LCD screen crack without abuse?
A neighbour has a laptop (Lenovo Edge E520) that has the classic LCD shattered symptom, their kid says it's never been hit to cause this. There is a defective item warranty on it. On the third year....
6
6

Interior wall opinions
I need to make good some interior walls. Easiest way (in that I could do it myself) is timber and plasterboard, just wondering what others would do/have done.
15
15

labour is cheap ?
Just watched 2 labourers take 5 hours to mix about 3 cubic metres of concre te by hand for a trench foundation next door. It would be a whole days work including transporting the materials. I'm not...
1
1

Slipping a lock
Very common job with me, mortice latch on internal door fails in closed position, customer can't get into bedroom/lounge/etc. Good little earner. I've always sorted it by prising off the slam strip...
21
21

Wallpaper pattern repeats
Funny how this business goes, haven't wallpapered for about 6 months, then three jobs in a fortnight. All involving the currently fashionable 'feature wall' with paper having giant flowers on. The...
10
10