Subject Author Posted Replies

Latest Progress video from those folks restoring Bluebird
The BBC showed a documentary of it being discovered and recovered back in 2000. Sadly, if you didn't see it then, they won't let you see it now. Nobody knows why not. For the story behind the youtube...

OT: Recommendation for Linux for old (2008) low-spec ex-Windows machine
Can anyone recommend a Linux that will work reasonably on an old (2008) former WindowsXP machine (AMD Sempron LE-1150 processor, not sure how much memory at the moment, Foxconn K8M890-8237A...
9
9

Bow saw blade length
I've got an old bow saw which I use for tree pruning which must be 30 years old and still on the original rusty old blade. It actually cuts pretty well on smaller branches but it's a bit of a pain on...
23
23

Stripping paint from aluminium
I have some panels to re-spray from a machine tool and they need taking back to bare metal as a previous owner has made a mess of a brush paint job in an unknown paint type. Most are steel, but one...
13
13

RE: ADSL wireless router
As a follow-up, after my tp-link ADSL wireless router (TD-W8961ND) failed I had replaced it with a netgear router (DGN2200). The netgear one was hopel ess - kept losing connection and when it did it...
1
1

Thunderbird reply issue >79 characters
If I click reply on any post (even one I sent) I now get error ... text is longer than 79 characters and fails to send. If I put in some line breaks or delete long lines it works. Never had this...
27
27

HETAS - is it worth anything?
Another in our long saga of getting things done to our house with the wrong tradesmen :( We got a HETAS registered fitter in to install a wood burning stove. We weren't entirely happy at the time, but...
19
19

WTB: Low head pump
I want to shift some slightly muddy water from underneath our pond liner to on top of it. So it can't be a submersible - must pull from a hose - and I only need to be able to generate about a meter...
12
12

Wire question
That half-round "log roll" edging sold by garden centres and the DIY sheds is held together by lengths of thick wire, stiff but bendable, stapled to the back. What is this particular type of wire...
12
12

Good value potato crisps
In their everyday value line tescos have some crisps at 66p for 12 bags ok each bag is only 18g but if you take two bags then you've got 6 bags equivalent for 11p a bag. Ingredients are only potatoes...
11
11

Making a cupboard door
I need to make a cupboard door. Size is 990mm x 915mm with a maximum thick ness of 37mm. It will be to replace two existing hollow doors on a large b edroom cupboard. The idea in having a single door...
8
8

Mains suppressors
A Brewer mate of mine has a temperature controller which switches a bank of domestic immersion heaters in a hot water tank via solid state relays. One of the elements has just failed to earth (blowing...
27
27

Re: Re: B&Q spends £60m on relaunched website
In message , mike writes Yeah, I'm sure I remember getting their (and really was mostly just screws and related hardware etc. and much smaller..) catalogue in the late '80's or early '90's. Ah yes,...

Quarter of Homebases to close
"a large estate with low sales densities that result in a challenged financial model." I wonder what they're on about there, and what else they're planning to change? Theo
138
138

MAP (gas) torch
Someone mentioned MAP was good for faster soldering and my old blowlamp is a PITA as it has no auto-ignition. Can anyone recommend a MAP torch that is good for plumbing soldering (15 and 22mm and odd...
10
10