Subject Author Posted Replies

OT. VAT on carriage
If an item is advertised as £22.40 incl. VAT. £18.67 excl. Carriage £4.95. Would you then expect to be charged £28.34 i.e. VAT also being applied to carriage? Thanks
6
6

[OT] ZWave
Been playing with some of this "new" Z-Wave RF home automation stuff. In particular, the VeraLite internet controller (runs OpenWRT inside plus some proprietary stuff), and these two devices:...
13
13

Help... Compression joint... Tiny bit leaky...
Hi, Well, I have the cold water distribution in place in my under stairs cupboard: Well I've capped off (or closed valves) and pressurised the dry pipe to 2.5bar. Been over it with gas leak spray and...
56
56

OT: Car insurance for youths
My 17 year old son has passed his test. Quotes via the comparison sites are all coming in over £3k and there's not much to be saved by him turning 18. To save me hours on the phone, are there any...
34
34

Unusual Central Heating Questions - Part II Earthing
Andrew Gabriel mentioned in the post "Unusual Central Heating Questions" "this inverter has no internal link between neutral and earth. You will need to bond these together (and to a reliable earth)...
10
10

OT Energy storage systems
Came across this Wiki list Pumped storage seems the only viable system for really large amounts of energy, given appropriate topography, although compressed air storage in underground caverns, and...
7
7

OT: kids' bikes
Can anyone recommend a lightweight bike for a nine year old boy and also where to get it in London. He's quite big for his age. He has an old Raleigh we had as a family pass-on but it's very heavy and...
8
8

Good news :-)
People 'lack confidence to tackle DIY jobs' http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp?id=18294
36
36

Hi vis checking
I wonder if there's a law dictating how much reflectivity a hivis jacket should have. Can you get into trouble if it's too muddy?
35
35

OT: Demon Internet newsgroups
I haven't seen it mentioned here, but if anyone else has stayed with Britain's first and once good ISP, this is the announcement they made almost silently 2 days ago. " October 29, 2014 Please be...
3
3

OT Possible cause of van "breakdown"?
Old apprentice has new job? :-D Jim K
20
20

OT Nuclear Waste.
Nuclear safety expert claims there is ‘significant risk’ due to poor condition of storage ponds containing highly radioactive fuel rods
4
4

Adhesive - foam to wood.
Need to fix acoustic foam to the inside of a loudspeaker cabinet. Would prefer a glue with a non aggressive solvent in case it attacks the plastics etc used in the drivers. Or just leave the thing...
6
6

OT Giant batteries.
Swiss-based group launch new battery technology that they claim will be a breakthrough for storing excess clean energy, and create 2,500 jobs in the US
15
15

Putting in a new wooden fence post, concrete it in place?
For a couple of years the back fence (8 ft high) has been getting increasingly wobbly in the wind, as one of the fence posts is loose in the ground and allows the fence to move in the wind. The post...
33
33