OT Energy storage systems

Came across this Wiki list

Pumped storage seems the only viable system for really large amounts of energy, given appropriate topography, although compressed air storage in underground caverns, and molten salt systems don't do too badly.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Fine with me, so who wants to make the initial entry on the list of Welsh/Scottish valleys that we need to dam up to make this work?

Come on now, don't be coy.

Reply to
Tim Streater

How come this is even worth asking? The answer is bleeding obvious. Big tanks on top of all the wind turbines. Like water towers. Added advantage of providing FO great drenching of turbines when they catch fire. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

Bowydd and Croesor are under consideration in N. Wales,

and SSE is considering Coire Glas, in conjunction with the existing Loch Slow hydroelectric scheme, and Balmacaan.

Chris Hogg

The problem is that you need not only a valley, but a large hole in the ground at the top of a very high hill as well as the ability to hollout said hill for the turbine hall.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message , Chris Hogg writes

I visited this one (Cruachan Power Station) when on holiday, in 1968.

In those days, it had only been up and running for a couple of years, and they really catered for visitors. You simply parked your car, and they whisked you by minibus deep into the heart of Ben Cruachan, to the turbine hall.

A friend of mine is experimenting with his own micro-hydro turbine, supposedly capable of producing about 250W. Because of the dry summer, there is presently rather a shortage of water (although there normally there is quite a lot to spare). I've therefore suggested the following solution to him:

"I've got the perfect solution to your water shortage problem. You need to get an electric water pump, and use your hydro's electricity to power it. You then use the pump to pump the hydro exhaust water back into the pond. It's so obvious that I simply can't understand why no one has ever thought of this idea before (especially for large hydroelectric power stations)!"

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I hope he thanked you for this first class idea.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Did he fall for it?

Reply to