Imagine

Imagine, 30+ years ago, you told your mates "I've just bought a new electric drill, it was made in Japan". Hoots of laughter & derision.

You carried on "it runs on 12v batteries". By this time said mates would be wetting themselves.

How things move on.....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Think you mean China? Japan was taking over the industrial world in the '70s.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yep. Those Ion Lithium, Cadmium Nickel and Nickel Hydride blokes have a lot to answer to. :-) They even have stupid names, so you just know how geeky they must look. I heard that they ride around their home town on deep cycles. Nerds Rule !!! Woo Woo !!!

LOL

Reply to
BigWallop

I thought that the Nickel ones were Irish - named after the daughter of the inventor or something.

Reply to
OG

It was the very bottom end though, market stall tat

NT

Reply to
meow2222

=A0 London SW

30 yrs ago it was Makita, Japanese made that set the standard. My 26 yr old makita is still fine.
Reply to
ransley

message

That's very possible. Was she that Nickel Zinc lass, from county Cork? I heard her dad could hold a charge or two.

That Ion Lithium guy sounds like a foreigner though. East European, or sum'mit, probably. And as for that Alki Line. What's he about? You know he was jailed for asalt in battery. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

Oh yes. That was said about Honda motorbikes and Datsun cars too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thats what I meant. Maybe 40 years ago then.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

After years of "buying British" my dad got a Datsun. It was the first car he'd ever had that had nothing wrong with it when he got it.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

When someone laughs at something they are not familiar with, you usually find an idiot is behind the laugh.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

When Makita came in they were cheap as no one trusted them. It took a while for them to be accepted over Wolf, etc.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Wasn't it the Rev.Hargeable ?

They got his name wrong when the old typewriter keys got stuck. and the "v" became a "c"

Reply to
whisky-dave

What else would people have laughed at in the 70s? The money people spend on renovations I expect.

On the flip side there were folding pvc doors! And people that thought power tools that bolted onto your drill were a good idea.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

And on beer :o(

1973 out selling University rag mags in Harborne Birmingham - 5 pints mild, pot of pickled mussels, bag of chips. Change out of a pound. Tell that to young people today - they won't believe you! Aye, 'appen.
Reply to
Bob Mannix

A small box on the wall that does all your hot water and CH too.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Imagine, 30+ years ago, you told your mates "In 30+ years time, I'll post a story:

'Imagine, 30+ years ago, you told your mates "I've just bought a new electric drill, it was made in Japan".

Hoots of laughter & derision.

You carried on "it runs on 12v batteries". By this time said mates would be wetting themselves.

How things move on.....'"

Even more amazing, people will read it *on their home computers* and write responses - all within a few hours.

Reply to
Rod

Then they would laugh and say bring the Darleks in.

..and if you said I am going home in my electric car, that goes faster than an MGB, they would wet themselves.

.and you sat I am just going speak and look at the same time to my relatives in Assu, they would call the hossie.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Watneys Red Barrel, Double Diamond, Harp Lager. Bloody hell its amazing we didn't all become tea total...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

And then, imagine their response, when you told them that all this would be possible through a system called "Usenet" - but it's main use would be as a medium for hurling abuse at people the writers had never met.

And would they believe you?

Reply to
PeterMcC