Good news :-)

People 'lack confidence to tackle DIY jobs'
http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp?id 294

More good news, Homebase are doing very badly, they say that the younger generation are no i into D-I-Y.
On Sat, 01 Nov 2014 10:20:08 +0000, Broadback wrote:

And the reason they're "not into" DIY is because they're no longer home- owners until much, much later in life. Instead they live with their parents or rent and in either case, everything's done for them. Now there's a trend I wish I'd spotted years ago. Could have made a few quid from buying Shed 'puts.' ;-)
On 01/11/14 10:23, Cursitor Doom wrote:

Another one. When we had a manufacturing interest menfolk often brought their occupation skills to use at home. Now we have a service industry they bring home the credit card for buying things ready made.
And another. There are less ingenious geeks being born and reaching full term, they are being turned by big business to becoming consumers - in most cases way too early. Consumers, by the very sense of the word, don't create.
--
Adrian C

On 01/11/14 10:57, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

And another one is that they're told from a young age, that every thing's going to kill them !
Andy C

In fact there is a lot more of that done by those who are part of the service industry, most obviously with those who work in the building industry.

Its more that there is a lot more available ready made than there used to be and the big increase in living standards means that it often makes a lot more sense to just toss an appliance in the bin and buy another when it dies too.

I don’t buy that. They are just producing different stuff than they used to, apps instead of gadgets for example.

Big business doesn’t turn anyone into anything, they just supply what people want.

They do however produce a market for those who do create.
Yes, right thruout virtually the entire modern first and second world, its MUCH harder for young people to become home owners than it was in the quite recent past. That has a MUCH bigger effect on DIY than anything else. essentially because renters don’t get to do as much DIY as home owners even if they want to DIY.

I also wonder if it starts at a very young age.
Boys who played with Meccano might well grow up to enjoy constructing things. Not sure the simpler contruction toys give the same insight into how things work.
And then there's computers. So many these days think they are the answer to everything. But try getting one to joint two bits of wood together. ;-) Although being able to draw out a plan for that easily is one of the things I love about mine.
--
*If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled? *

I doubt it.

You've got that backwards. Its those who grow up to enjoy constructing things that are into Meccano when they are boys.

One of the neighbours kids who used to rock up at my place virtually every day before he started school never had any meccano but does one hell of a job of restoring vintage cars now.

They certainly do communication a lot better than we could do that.

And keep track of my beer brewing DIY a hell of a lot better than writing that stuff on bits of paper or in a book.
On Sat, 01 Nov 2014 10:23:35 +0000, Cursitor Doom wrote:

More importantly, those who *are* into DIY tend not to use Homebase!
wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
On Sat, 01 Nov 2014 11:16:17 +0000 (GMT)

A Hornby-Dublo train set and a box of Meccano parts were all you needed for a good start in life. A library of World Book Club titles built up by my Dad didn't hurt, either.
--
Davey.

On Sat, 01 Nov 2014 11:44:34 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

constructing

insight

Donno, I didn't do to bad with lego. Couldn't afford Meccano, though I had a little bit. This is 1960's Lego as well not todays Lego with Technic and NXT. The lad has loads of technic and an NXT set, does he play with it nope, builds things in Minecraft instead. Not just buildings but "things" like launchers or an 8 bit binary adder complete with in/out registers etc.
As has been mentioned most are conditioned these days to be "consumers" and that the statement "No user serviceable parts inside" is true. So if something breaks you throw it away and buy another one. No thought that it could be repaired for the price of a screwdriver and 10 p component.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Best I could manage was a 1-bit adder built using relays my bro had brought back from the Navy. He also gave me soldering iron (only packed up a year or two ago) and solder, a lot of which I still have. I was able also to mend the wartime Ministry of Supply radio that had packed up (needed a new diode - I used an OA81) and another wire had become disconnected. It whistled a lot but was OK for listening to Radio Luxembourg and that Alan Freeman.
On Sat, 01 Nov 2014 12:12:40 +0000, Andy Cap wrote:

Whilst that is perfectly true, some things certainly CAN kill you. I am about to start fault-finding on an early 70s Tek storage scope which has had a failure in the EHT section (probably a blown cap). Anyway, 7kv is lurking behind a mesh cage with a big warning sign on it. Not looking forward to prodding around within that. If you never hear from me again, you'll know why.
On Sat, 01 Nov 2014 11:16:17 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

I've been mending things since I was 12 back in the 1950s and my mum let me "fix" her Suffolk Punch. I decoked it, ground in the valves and it started first time after that. Often I'd take it to bits just to see how it worked. Later aged 13/14 I branched out to my first car, a 1934 Morris 8, which of course I couldn't drive, but it provided no end of tinkering.
Then I did a 7-year apprenticeship as a motor fitter, got my C & G, moved to Germany and worked for Ford-Werke for over a decade. There I started tinkering with the first word processor Ford acquired. Then I discovered I could program it with MBasic on an 8" floppy the service engineer gave me. Later still I moved into computer support with another company and finally ended my working life as a computer programmer for Hallmark. That old lawnmower has a lot to answer for. I actually bought one about three years ago. Bloke near me seems to have an endless supply of old cylinder mowers which he does up and sells for £60.
Right now I make furniture and fix loose fence posts.
MM
On Sat, 1 Nov 2014 13:53:33 +0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom

I watched a repair engineer from the National Grid at work on a powerline nearby (not a very large pylon, just the "telephone pole" kind) and he had on the thickest rubber gloves I've ever seen. I believe he said they don't need to switch off the power then if it's a simple repair.
MM

Ruddy rip-off merchants. I wouldn't go near the place.
MM
A lot of it is we don't have the stamina these days. I built a fence once, damn nearly killed me. Brian

Mine didn’t. Neither did building the entire house either.
These things tend to go in phases. Half the time its what they do not learn at school. back in the early 60s we were taught woodwork and metalwork skills and how to do things safely, though unfortunately the angle grinder had not become a universal tool in those days. Brian
On Sat, 01 Nov 2014 15:22:21 +0000, MM wrote:

I saw one of those get shorted out by a tree branch one time back in the 70s. They don't look very capable, but this particular line carried 33kv and god knows how much current. I still recall it being like an atom bomb going off!