Bad news/good news

Bad news; The tin of Evostick in my latest Screwfix order had burst, spreading it's entire contents (250ml) over the remainder of the order.

Good news; Nothing was ruined - it was all in separate bags or in the case of the tubes of silicone, it doesn't matter.

Better news; Screwfix were very apologetic and offered to replace the lot. I just want another tin of Evostick.

Reply to
Huge

Lovely smell when you opened the box?

Reply to
Dave Osborne

Exactly the same happened to me with 5 litres of bitumen-based paint. Yum.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Marvellous. Almost worth the inconvenience.

Reply to
Huge

Yuck. At least Evostick smells nice (toluene?), sets "dry" and is relatively "clean".

Reply to
Huge

Not as nice a creosote though.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Not since the EU stopped them.

Could be useful if it glued a few other peoples' parcels on to yours.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

My bad news was that the local Screwfix (Livingston) didn't even have the 250mL Evostik in stock the other day - had to go down to Bn'Q.

Reply to
robgraham

ScrewFix has become CPC?

Reply to
Adrian C

About a year ago (I think) I bought a tin of "New Faster Drying Formula" Evostik. The solvent is naptha and there's a teeny-weeny bit of benzene.

Although the smell is OK-ish, it's not a patch on the last tin I bought some 30 years ago, when it was a pleasure (literally) to spread it all over the place. Gluing was fun in those days... :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

One thing that annoys me about Screwfix is that they don't publish a branch telephone number to check something is in stock. It's one reason I normally order online.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

But you have an address and phone book...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Apropos of nothing at all...do they still make Cascamite? My dad used to use it for everything...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Sorry, I looked...I see they do. Strong exterior grade powdered resin. My dad used to use it for canoe building.

SWMBO heard me mention it and said "it sounds as if it's either a glue, or a diarrhoea cure". I said it would work for either...

Reply to
Bob Eager

I often ring my local depot, since its right at the other end of the towns. I even have a business type card with the number on. I picked it up in store when it opened.

But on checking the 'branch locator' on the web site, it gives the address but no number, neither does the catalouge. Strange.

Ask in store next time you go in.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Perhaps they recruited some of their people?

Reply to
Huge

If you get a catalogue from in store, it will have a sticker with address and phone number.

mark

Reply to
mark

If I remember rightly the catalyst is something like oxalic acid - no doubt the digestive path produces something that would act the same. Might bung up the whole lot tough!

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

That's what I thought...almost as good a cure as car body filler!

Reply to
Bob Eager

That's actually a good pun on the part of your missus. Cascamite sounds like the antidote to cascara, which is a laxative!

Dave Osborne