Good news, bad news

Good news! Panasonic PVR has died. I'll post the video of me burning it in due course.
Bad news! I have to choose a new one. Recommendations? Nothing by Panasonic or Samsung, please.
The Humax stuff looks OK, although I bought the Panny on online reviews, and look where that got me.
--
Today is Pungenday, the 22nd day of Confusion in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
Huge wrote:

    You can buy whatever you like. None of it will work properly. It has got a bloody computer in it with untested software and will not withstand bursts of mains or rf interference without going into buggered mode. Cynic, moi?

ha ha spot on that could be me saying that ....
On 17/06/2017 16:57, Capitol wrote:

My Humax 9200 worked straight out of the box in 2006 and still works.
Ditto my Humax HD Fox T2 stb with extra usb hard drive for recording.
As far as I am concerned, they just go on and on and on.
However, many smart tv's have pvr functionality too if you plug a usb drive in. So maybe put the pvr budget towards a newer tv. And if you have a decent unlimited broadband line, then you might not need one.
On Sat, 17 Jun 2017 19:56:23 +0100, Andrew wrote:

Sony? Still have Sony HDD recorder / DVD burner. For a bit of consumer electroniss it has a half decent user interface. Trouble is time has marched on and there are no longer any signals it can receive.

not

And won't get any updates or new/enhanced features after 18 months. You want those dump the "old" telly and buy a new one, that will also be unsupported after 18 months...

Think I'd spend it on a Raspberry Pi and HDD and install Raspian and Kodi on it. Grabbing stuff off the 'net rather than off air. If the off-air is DTTV the quality is barely watchable so the 'net is better option.

Don't need speed for a PVR just let it get on with it. Doesn't matter if it takes longer to download than the running time of the programme, you aren't watching the stream. A decent amount of download data more important.
--
Cheers
Dave.

The elderly Sony HDD recorder we also have is the best one we've owned, and it too is crap in it's own way. It has a habit of chopping off the last 2 or 3 minutes of recordings and when we first bought it, it crashed a *lot*. After wading through hundreds of postings on various forums, I discovered that if you switch off the "over the air" software updates (which are no longer available, anyway) it stops crashing. It also doesn't have an HDMI output, so we have a SCART -> HDMI converter, which the Samsung telly doesn't like, so you have to power the converter off and on every day to make it work. It does have a really good UI, though.
And this is all supposed to be consumer electronics, as reliable as a rock. Why do we put up with this shit?
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 23rd day of Confusion in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
On Sun, 18 Jun 2017 10:50:01 +0000, Huge wrote:

Now there's an expression you'd never ever expect to see in relation to any Sony product, "It does have a really good UI.". :-)

I do believe Microsoft is largely to blame for "lowering consumer expectations". However, to be fair in our spreading of blame, Microsoft may well have looked to Sony for inspiration when it came to redesigning the desktop look and feel used in their ironically named "Vista" windows operating system. Apparently windows XP wasn't quite shite enough to prevent their 'customers' from 'fixing it' into a less broken state than they'd wished to inflict upon the great unwashed consuming masses.
--
Johnny B Good

[20 lines snipped]

It makes the Panny look like the hideous PoS it really is. According to a friend who owns a later version of the Sony, they've ruined it again.

They certainly have a role in it. But our "features over reliability", "bells and whistles over functionality" attitude doesn't help.
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 23rd day of Confusion in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.

Whose bells and whistles attitude? I don't recall ever being asked if I wanted anything over and above MSDOS1.1
--
bert

They end up giving it to richer people and end up poor again.

--
bert

On 18/06/2017 13:43, Johnny B Good wrote:

+1 On the few Sony products that I've owed the UI can be best described as being unique and designed by someone who never has to use the equipment on a day to day basis.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

On 21/06/17 08:18, alan_m wrote:

The last sony products I owned were set top boxes. These had an excellent UI.
Its gone downhill since then. Their digital TVS are way worse.

"Saki"
On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 08:18:12 +0100, alan_m wrote:

Nicely summarised! :-)
--
Johnny B Good

On 18/06/2017 11:50, Huge wrote:

That means no HD, so I'm surprised you still give it house-room.

We rarely use it any more, and TBH, I'm much more interested in plot, dialogue, character development and the like than in how well the CGI explosions are rendered.
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 24th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.

I'd got the idea you wanted some super duper PVR and TV to enjoy playing with.
All the PVRs I've ever seen are quite capable of doing a simple recording and then watching it back. Usually can record two things at once.
--
*There's two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither one works *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

    There;s a difference between "seen" and "used". When used the modern ones are unreliable crap.

My TV can record to a USB drive. I have never tried it. Some have twin tuners so you can watch and rewind a program while recording another channel. Mine has twin tuners but one is freeview and the other freesat and I don't know if it will record from both at the same time.

I use my Humax PVR all the time. Recording from the TV might be ok when you're out, but a PVR allows you to record two progs while you watch a third on the TV. May not be needed often, but nice when it is.

Think all PVRs do this.

My satellite receiver has its own HD for recording. Never actually used it yet, though.
--
*If we weren't meant to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

Careful you will want sky q, as that can record 6 and watch another. ,