Oh FFS

Those tools that give a perfect smooth line of sealant - WTF are they called and do Screwfix sell them? No, I haven't started yet, I just can't bloody find one! :-)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Andy Burns

That'll be a sealant smoother then and yes they do - link probably too long to work so might need copying and pasting

Lino expert

*searched* for smoother and it showed me paint!

Thanks.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

There's no call to be rude.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

If you're really stuck, as I was one day, then B&Q sell an Evo-Stick "sealant bead tool" which will do the job, just.

Reply to
Steve Firth

SF do Fugenboy, Plumbworld do Fugi (I prefer the latter)

Reply to
John Rumm

Thats not a fugenboy. Go sit in the corner :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Shan't :op I put it to you that it's what the OP was after. So there.

Reply to
Lino expert

M'lud, the OP asked for "Those tools that give a perfect smooth line of sealant". I put it to the jury, that they suggestion made by our usually learned colleague is pants. Those Unibond rigid plastic things are hopeless.

The OP was clearly after a Fuegenboy. My case rests.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

If you want a smooth line on something like sealing a bath, try using an ice cube. Use the heat from your hands to melt the sharp corners off, then use the shape you've made to run along the line of mastic and you'll get a nice, smooth finish to it.

Reply to
pete

Hopeless Base also have something normally on sale with one of those promotional video things associated. Very impressive demos but watch them carefully, both sides of the sealant bead are smooth and flat, they carefully avoid showing what happens if the tool encounters a grout line...

It's a set of three(?) bits of soft plastic with various sized radiused corners.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I would urge m'learned to take back spurious, nay, calumnious accusations of pantage as there are many things that would do the job, albeit with varying degrees of success/professionalism...sealant smoothers come in many shapes and forms from Unibond et al through Fugenboy to wooden spoon handles and just about anything Fugen else.

Reply to
Lino expert

MkI standard wet finger. For acrylic caulk.

Or MkII scalpel, for silicone, after its set..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 23:38:15 +0100, The Natural Philosopher had this to say:

That's exactly the traditional way of doing it.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I call upon my expert witness Alan A Daiswerk, professor of sealant at Bath University. "Extensive research has shown that the angle at the front of the Unibond tool is exactly the same as the angle on the front of a pair of Y fronts, thus proving the 'pants' allegation conclusively."

I would also draw my learned colleagues attention to the statement by Hans Fugenfoetus, great grandson of Helmut Von Fugen the inventor. "Not only can we smooth sealant, we can make the trains run on time".

Fugenboy is the true path to happiness, sealant wise.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Don't think there's any one universal solution. I have the Fugi kit and it gets quite a bit of use - but it won't work for everything.

Was recently decorating some panel doors where the mouldings had moved away from the frames - old doors and central heating - and filled this with caulk, but the gap was too narrow for any of the Fugi profiles. A damp cloth worked perfectly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Referee! Vastly unfair to bring in references to Y-fronts, about which I know nothing nor indeed wish to. My expert witness is Timothy Leary who, amongst other things, attests that (and I quote) "hey man, anything used on the coast for the purpose is best because the seal ants moo there." Proof positive if it were needed.

Reply to
Lino expert

I didn't know there was a tool. I use two lines of masking tape.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Always the way I've done it, too. Any time I've tried using anything else, it's just made a mess.

Only read about the masking tape trick a few months ago, though - I think I might try that for the corners next time.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules